D5100 - First time out

Mediaman09

Just back from vacation (10 day cruise to Italy/France), travelling for the first time with a D5100.

Really pleased with the camera - still quite a lot to learn/improve or course, but for my first time out, and my first DSLR, I am really pleased with the results.

I will upload to the gallery, but here are some quick hilites

I travelled only with the 18-200 lens, which was indeed was ideal (re framing shots, weight, ease of use). I carried the camera for 10 days, typically 8 hours a day, in a light over the shoulder case (LoewPro Nova 160) and almost forgot it was there. And that weather wraparound really helped when I got caught in a downpour.

Some lessons learned:
- reading the manual cover to cover really helped (although most of my reading was on the flight back - oops!)
- traveliing with the one lens was a pleasure
- really need to better undersstand ISO settings re low light /night shots. My night shots were hopeless.
- automatic mode surpisingly served me well for most shots
- travelling with an extra battery and multiple SDHC cards gave total me peace of mind.
- next accessory to purchase : a strap to replace the narrow Nikon one which was really uncomfortable after long periods.
- good to be home !

ch3360

Some good shots..... One thing I carry in my camera bag is a little pocket sized notebook. Usually I'll right tips or "how-to's" in it and also keep notes on what setting worked to catch a certain photo result..... As for a strap, I use the Op/Tech Pro which is very comfortable and only costs about $20us

Chris

Mediaman09

..... As for a strap, I use the Op/Tech Pro which is very comfortable and only costs about $20us

Thanks. In addition to comfort, I am also looking for security. The PacSafe Carrysafe 100 (or 200) look intersting as well : Camera Security Straps - Anti-Theft Straps for Cameras and Carrysafe 100 Anti Theft Camera Strap. We have used PacSafe products before (on this past trip as well re wallets, shoulder bags etc ) and they make a great product. Available on line or via CAA/AAA. Total peace of mind in crowded areas.

Last edited:

Shoots808

Nice pictures. I really liked the scooters in the alley, and the lined up sailboats. This is an interesting thread for me because I just ordered a D5100, and I will be going on this same cruise in Sept.

fotojack

Very nice shots. You have a great camera there, and you seem to know how to use it instinctively. Looks like you had a great holiday, too. :)

Philnz

Nice images I agree the 18--200 is on my 5100 most of the time and is the lens I always fit when i am only taking the camera