Time To Take The Plunge

ZekeMenuar

The post processing software plunge that is.

I was recently scolded by one of our Esteemed Moderators for not using PP software.
I'll never admit he's right. He's a Mod you know. However, upon further review it seems he might be onto something.
I reviewed some of my first RAW images from a year ago. Some are once in a lifetime shots that can? be cleaned up with proper post processing.

I can't choose between Photoshop Elements 10 or Lightroom 4

I've been doing mediocre photography for over a year now without PP software.
I make the occasional tweak with Irfanview but most of my shots are straight out of the camera.
I don't take tons of images anymore. I'm getting better at judging a scene and getting a good shot.
I'm going to keep striving for good images straight from the camera. But I'd like to have the tools to tweak some shots if needed.
It's time to take the next step.

FWIW I have a D3100 with four DX lenses.
18-55mm AF-S DX VR
35mm AF-S DX f1.8
55-200mm AF-S DX VR
55-300mm AF-S DX VR

Elements 10 or LR4? What say you?

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

I was recently scolded by one of our Esteemed Moderators for not using PP software.
I'll never admit he's right. He's a Mod you know. However, upon further review it seems he might be onto something.
I reviewed some of my first RAW images from a year ago. Some are once in a lifetime shots that can? be cleaned up with proper post processing.

I can't choose between Photoshop Elements 10 or Lightroom 3.
I know LR4 is out. I'm a cheap SOB. The money saved with LR3 gets me another filter for my long lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-E ... 759&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-L ... 795&sr=1-1

I make the occasional tweak with Irfanview but most of my shots are straight out of the camera.
I don't take tons of images anymore. I'm getting better at judging a scene and getting a good shot.
I'm going to keep striving for good images straight from the camera. But I'd like to have the tools to tweak some shots if needed.

18-55mm AF-S DX VR
35mm AF-S DX f1.8
55-200mm AF-S DX VR
55-300mm AF-S DX VR

CS10 or LR3? What say you?

I purchased LR4 when it was recently released. You gotta go with the latest. The modifications between LR3 versus LR4 are significant. When you get a chance, google Lightroom 3 vs Lightroom 4. There usually is a 30-day free trial, which can be downloaded from Adobe's site. As far as Photoshop goes, I don't know. I've not used it. There probably is a free trial for Photoshop, also.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

I can't choose between Photoshop Elements 10 or Lightroom 3.
I know LR4 is out. I'm a cheap SOB. The money saved with LR3 gets me another filter for my long lens.

18-55mm AF-S DX VR
35mm AF-S DX f1.8
55-200mm AF-S DX VR
55-300mm AF-S DX VR

CS10 or LR3? What say you?

I purchased LR4 when it was recently released. You gotta go with the latest. The modifications between LR3 versus LR4 are significant. When you get a chance, google Lightroom 3 vs Lightroom 4. There usually is a 30-day free trial, which can be downloaded from Adobe's site. As far as Photoshop goes, I don't know. I've not used it. There probably is a free trail for Photoshop, also.

Scolded? It must have been Jack! :smiley_simmons:

There is a 30-day eval for Photoshop and LR available on the Adobe site. I have to agree with Phillydog with going with LR4 versus LR3 - the cost difference is probably less than $50. And you can probably simulate the filter you were gonna buy in LR anyway!

ZekeMenuar

Original post edited to include LR4. Getting $150 software past Her Majesty is going to be tough.
Why is no one mentioning Photoshop Elements 10?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Original post edited to include LR4. Getting $150 software past Her Majesty is going to be tough.

Elements is very good at the basics with one caveat: it makes destructive modifications to your images. Lightroom makes non-destructive edits and preserves the orginal file.

Also, you'll find more training / learning options with Lightroom than with Elements.

Try the 30-day eval first. Show your better half what you can do with it and maybe you'll get a "kitchen pass"!

Mike150

It is better to indulge first and then beg for forgiveness than it is to be turned down and have no fun at all. After all, how long can she make you sleep on the couch?

I vote for the Lightroom. I have an older version of it (Ver 2). New version will come when the vet bills drop. Besides I'm ordering a new SB-700 next week. (Come On Payday). I also have a old copy of Elements on my PC at work. I'll take the Lightroom.

ZekeMenuar

It is better to indulge first and then beg for forgiveness than it is to be turned down and have no fun at all. After all, how long can she make you sleep on the couch?

She's a Red Headed Scorpio. You can probably do the math from there.

I'm sure I could get approval for LR3. Not so sure about LR4.
I'm in the process of rounding up some of my really good RAW images and give LR4 trial a go.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm sure I could get approval for LR3. Not so sure about LR4.

Kudos to you for taking the plunge. LR3 is a good choice. . . LR4 still has issues that need to be worked out, viz. lightroom edits aren't kept when exported to an external editor. I don't think it's been fixed yet. In any case, I'm not upgrading to 4 until they've gone through several updates.

I have and use Photoshop CS5 and have tried all of the others but always go back to CS5 just for the content aware fill. The magnetic lasso and healing brush are worth their weight in gold.
CS6 is out now. You would need a Very Special Pass from the wife for it at $650 +-

ZekeMenuar

I have and use Photoshop CS5 and have tried all of the others but always go back to CS5 just for the content aware fill. The magnetic lasso and healing brush are worth their weight in gold.
CS6 is out now. You would need a Very Special Pass from the wife for it at $650 +-

I'd have to sell something in the gun cabinet to get CS5. I'm not prepared to do that.

3Ring

If you're on a Mac, consider Aperture. Pretty powerful tool for $79 with options to add plug-ins as you become more proficient.

ZekeMenuar

I ordered a full retail version of LR3 from Amazon. Should be here early next week.

I found a copy of LR3 through.....well we don't need to go there. I'm running it as a trial on my laptop to keep things on the up and up.
My laptop has mediocre graphics but lots of horsepower.
When the paid copy comes I'll install it on the computer with better graphics and a 42" second monitor.

Now to get to work on all those waterfall pictures that need fixing.