D300 v D300s - which to choose?

T.Behuniak

I know the D300s is more modernized, but I've read if you aren't into the video, then just go with the D300, but the D300s looks very promising. Also this question is going to sound kind of dumb, but are there any user/auto settings or is it just all manual, do you have to set everything up yourself for every picture? THANKS!

Browncoat

The D300s has several upgrades over the D300 (including newer controls). The video capability of the D300s is pretty limited by today's standard.

No, there are no auto settings. Say goodbye to auto/sports/night shooting modes, you're playing with the big boys now. Earlier, you made a post about the D90 vs. D7000. If you're considering a D300s over either one of those, you won't be disappointed. There's a pretty serious price jump, but it's a lot more camera.

T.Behuniak

Yea, I did was thinking about the D90 or 7000 for a really long time. But, i really just want a camera that will last me a really long time and that i know won't let me down. I know it will take a lot of getting used to and learning but thats what you have to do sooner or later right? I've read there are still M,A,S, and P settings, is that true or no. Is it just all make up your own settings as you go along. And literally that is the only camera i've read about in nikon's DX lineup that everything about it is good. Thanks for your response.

T.Behuniak

I'm happy wit the MASP modes, i can get used to that, i mainly used shutter and Aperature on my D40 - its time for a HUGE upgrade and its going to be a huge learning curve for me, but i'm ready when i get the money.

Geoffc

My wife got the 300 shortly after it came out and really likes it. Last year I wanted to upgrade my D70 and bought a 7000. I took it back after a week because I much preferred the images from a 300. The shop let me pay the extra and get the 300s. I know both cameras well and would be happy with either if video is not a concern which it isn't in my case. I assume you are looking at used models.

Interestingly I've been playing with a D700 FX camera for a couple of days and so far I prefer the images from the 300!!

Mestre

The 300s is probably the best nikon regarding product life cycle. Even the "s" improvement meant a SD slot, better firmware and the video but all the mechanics are from the D300.

The build quality is excellent and only looses to FF bodies.

If you have CF memory, go for the D300.

T.Behuniak

I love and carry SD cards Mestre, and Geoffc, thanks very much! And that is crazy! I heard tons about the D300s and almost everything is excellent. Cannot wait to get it!

Ruidoso Bill

I have 68,000 shutter actuations on my D300. I sometimes wish I had a D300s for video and sd card capable but I'm waiting on a D400. My D300 is my main camera and has been a workhorse. My hope is that the D400 will be similar to the D300 control etc. I use my D200 as backup and with fast glass is still an amazing camera.

fotojack

As most of the regulars here know.....if I had the money, I'd get a D300. I see the odd one on Kijiji now and then, going for anywhere between $800 to over $1,000. I'm just one lottery win away from actually owning one! :) I love my D200, and my D40 makes a great backup, but I truely want a D300!!

Oomph

Hmm. i if won the lottery i would buy a D300 turn it upside down fit a section or 1/4 inch threaded rod in the mounting hole and stab a sharp stick through the flash and use it as a monopod for my D4 ;)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You'll love it! Don't hesitate to ask questions 'cause there are a lot of us using that body here!

Just-Clayton

I have a d3100 and a 300s. the 300 fits better in my hand and also I dont miss the auto modes. I never used them. I love the 300s and still getting used to it. It has a lot more menu features over the 3100. Like bracketing and being able to use my sb700 flash off camera for lighting effects.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have 68,000 shutter actuations on my D300. I sometimes wish I had a D300s for video and sd card capable but I'm waiting on a D400. My D300 is my main camera and has been a workhorse. My hope is that the D400 will be similar to the D300 control etc. I use my D200 as backup and with fast glass is still an amazing camera.

I would hold off until the new DX D400 arrives. The resolution, video and other nice to have features will be worth the wait.

Jack - once you try the newer version DX, they might out perform the D300 in low light condition. The D3200, even though an entry level might be able to provide better IQ.

Bukitimah

I move from d5000 to d300 and never look back. I cannot say the image quality for sure because I am learning everyday and whatever improvements could be due to my technique.

However, in terms of handling, menu, AF, etc, there is no question about the d300. as to whether the d300s would be a better choice, I did say if the cost difference is little, why not? With d300 going as low as d90 in the pre-owned sector, I cannot see why I should consider the other models. FF is another level and $$$ so nothing to compare.

I would pay the most $100 difference for the 's' since video is not something I am looking at but an additional feature.