Nikon 40mm f/2.8 vs 50mm f/1.8

Zero4

Hello-

I'm looking into getting a Prime Lens, and can't entirely decide between the Nikon AS-F 50mm f/1.8G and the Nikon AS-F 40mm f/2.8G. I was wondering if I could get some opinions regarding the two lenses, other than reviews I have read online at online stores.

I would consider myself an advanced-beginner in photography. The majority of shots I take are either at concerts (low light) or of wildlife (from backyard to zoo's). My current gear includes:

Body: Nikon D3100
Lens: 18-55mm AF-S f/3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
55-300mm AF-S f/4.5-5.6G

I want to get a prime lens mainly for the advantages it has with low light, and I'm leaning towards the 50mm f/1.8G, but was intrigued by the minimum focus distance of the 40mm f/2.8G lens (16.26 cm vs the 50mm @ 45 cm), possibly making the 40mm lens a more versatile lens, should I want to start taking more macro photography.

Does anyone know how big a difference is going from f/1.8 to f/2.8 would be, or have experiences with both of these lenses and have an opinion to share.

Thanks in advance!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You can practice with your 18-55mm kit lens and set the focal length at 40mm and 50mm. See which FL works best for your style. You can always get both or add the 85mm f1.8G.

Zero4

I shoot the D3100 also and recently got the 40mm Macro. I also have the kit lens and a 55-200 The 40 stays on the camera 80% of the time now. It is sharp and fast. You can see some of my shots with that lens at http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/5610-tracsofts-40-mm.html

Thanks' for the info! Those are some great pics in your link. Have you done a lot of low light shooting with the 40? If yes, how'd it fair?

You can practice with your 18-55mm kit lens and set the focal length at 40mm and 50mm. See which FL works best for your style. You can always get both or add the 85mm f1.8G.

I think I'll give that a try, but what's hard is not adjusting the length once it's set...The 85 f/1.8G looks like it'd be outstanding for concerts...if only it were in my price range :heart-borken: