Photo uploading & resizing explained

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Nikonites has several ways that photos can be uploaded and/or added to a post. Photos can be:
  1. uploaded to the gallery then inserted into a post using IMG tags (see #2)
  2. inserted from an external source using IMG tags
    • click the image button in the editor (
      insertimage.png
      ),
    • "From URL" with "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" unchecked will simply wrap IMG tags around the photo. Otherwise the photo will become an attachment (#3 below).
    • If there is more than one photo in a single post they will all be available in the lightbox
    • photos will be resized to 600px, and appear in a lightbox to make larger
  3. attached to a post -
    • If clicking on "Attachments" below editor box under "Additional Options":
      • Click "Add Files", Images can be grabbed from an external URL or from your computer.
      • "Insert Inline"
      • Images that you have previously uploaded (not to the gallery) will be available to drag to the attachment area
    • If using image button:
      • Click the image button (
        insertimage.png
        )
      • "From URL", "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" checked or "Upload from computer"
      • Images that you have previously uploaded (not to the gallery) will be available to drag to the attachment area
    • In both cases photos will be resized to 600px, and appear in a lightbox to make larger

Rick M

[QUOTE(I NEVER measured mine DIAGONALLY!!!!!) :confused:[/QUOTE]

It's something us short fat guys do now to raise our self esteem :)

BackdoorArts

In hope of resurrecting Rick's original question and not the subsequent ancillary discussion on size, I too am wondering why when I attach/upload photos to a post they appear much smaller than others who have also attached theirs to a post in the same thread. There seems to be no correlation between original size and display size as some which display larger are displaying at their full size (i.e. smaller original image), while others are equally sized in the thread display but significantly larger in the pop-up. Is there some mystical boundary that one crosses based on the long edge of the photo that causes you to be displayed one way vs. the other? It's not that I have "display envy", but when taking the time to get a photo right, it's a bit deflating (no pun intended) when it is shown 1/3 the size of other photos in the thread, all of which have been similarly attached and not linked from elsewhere. I've taken to now just linking from my Flickr account, which I have no real issue with as it saves me from leaving breadcrumbs in multiple places. But with Marcel starting up an assignment/challenge thread that requires photos be attached I am back to wondering why this is an issue for me, and Rick apparently.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
In hope of resurrecting Rick's original question and not the subsequent ancillary discussion on size, I too am wondering why when I attach/upload photos to a post they appear much smaller than others who have also attached theirs to a post in the same thread. There seems to be no correlation between original size and display size as some which display larger are displaying at their full size (i.e. smaller original image), while others are equally sized in the thread display but significantly larger in the pop-up. Is there some mystical boundary that one crosses based on the long edge of the photo that causes you to be displayed one way vs. the other? It's not that I have "display envy", but when taking the time to get a photo right, it's a bit deflating (no pun intended) when it is shown 1/3 the size of other photos in the thread, all of which have been similarly attached and not linked from elsewhere. I've taken to now just linking from my Flickr account, which I have no real issue with as it saves me from leaving breadcrumbs in multiple places. But with Marcel starting up an assignment/challenge thread that requires photos be attached I am back to wondering why this is an issue for me, and Rick apparently.

Maybe the rule needs clarification. What was meant is that if someone just mentions a photo and just posts a link to go to the picture that is on another server, then it wouldn't be considered. The pictures for the Assignments have to be displayed here.

Hope this helps you.

As far as why some pictures display larger than original size, I'm also in the dark.

BackdoorArts

Thanks, Marcel. I've managed a workaround with the Gallery and the contest post mentioned, but at the heart of my post is that I'd still love to know why things work one way for some and not for others? I guess it's a little like life, eh? LOL

nikonpup

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF METHODS FOR GETTING MAX IMAGE DISPLAYED. 1 EXAMPLE FROM "GRANDPAW" AND 1 THAT I USE.

I will list for you the exact way I put pictures in my thread

First thing I do is to size my picture where the longest side is 1200 Pixels and I save it to one meg file size or less to get my picture ready

Open thread and click on Reply to Thread

Next I click on Insert Image and click on select Files

I locate the file and open it

Next I download it to my post

When it shows up as a thumbnail on the thread I place my cursor to the left of the picture and press enter twice to move the picture down the page

Next I press the up arrow 2 times to get the cursor back to the top of page

Now I type in the message

Next I double click the picture and click on "LEFT" and "FULL SIZE" and then "OK"

Then I click on "Post Quick Reply"

I DO JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT.

1. CLICK ON INSERT IMAGE.

2. SELECT THE FILE TO UPLOAD AND OPEN. MAX SIZE 1.9 MEGS.

3. UPLOAD FILE AND WHEN IT APPEARS I DOUBLE CLICK THE IMAGE AND ANOTHER BOX APPEARS.

4. I SELECT CENTER AND FULL SIZE.