Where do I find?

Yellow Peril

I have bought a D200 today and do have the manual but I'm a little dyslexic and am having difficulty in finding where one sets the lens focal length.

I'm using non AF AI lenses.

Also how do I set the camera to aperture priority?

I have just come over from my trusty Nikon FM so I guess you'll be hearing quite a lot from me.:)

Last edited:

gav329

Hi there!! I'm new to the D200 too it's a complex beast isn't it?!?!!

Setting aperture is pretty quick. On the left side on the top of camera press "mode" then whilst holding it in, turn the dial at the right hand side at the back of the camera. Your right thumb will naturally fall on it. You'll see the modes change. A, P, S

Lens focal length I'm not sure about to be honest.

Welcome to nikonites!!

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeLewisPhotography

the focal length is adjusted from the lens itself...it's either a prime and fixed, or you zoom in and out....you dont adjust that in-camera...Im confused by this question. what lens specifically are you using?

Yellow Peril

I was told that if using an non AF lens, that there was a facility on the camera that allows you to put the size of the lens in. I'm assuming it's because the electrics on the camera is unable to work it out itself - or more likely, I misunderstood. I've a 24mm wide angle, a 55mm micro Nikkor, a 70-210mm zoom and a 400mm + a 1.5x convertor.

I think you need to reread the manual. As far as I know you don't have to tell the camera what lens you are using. If it is not a lens that was designed for the camera it is either going to work for not. Depending on the lens you may have to shoot on full manual.

fotojack

In the D200, press the Menu button. In the section called Shooting Menu, scroll down to where it will say Non-CPU Lens Data. Press the scroll wheel to the right, and you will see where you enter your lens information. And it IS in your manual. :)

Shooting Menu.jpg

Lens Data.jpg

Yellow Peril

Thanks Jack, I thought it was in there but couldn't see it for looking. I have another seemingly stupid question. I've spent most the afternoon trying an AF 28-80 I've just bought and although I think I've set everything as the manual suggests, It doesn't seem to want to autofocus. Obviously I'm missing something very basic, but I'm blessed if I can see what?