Automated distance scale

jim_thomsen

Bryan Peterson, in his Understanding Flash Photography, says "most of today's flashes have an automated distance scale. Tell the flash what aperture you want to use....and it tells you the exact distance your flash needs to be from the subject."

I just purchased the SB-700....does it have this feature? I don't seem to be able to find it...and I have read the manual, but I have missed easier things. In his book the example he shows is a SB-900 so maybe the SB-700 doesn't have this feature?

I hope it's there and I'm just stupid.

Thanks,
Jim

ohkphoto

Snow White
Bryan Peterson, in his Understanding Flash Photography, says "most of today's flashes have an automated distance scale.

I haven't read his book, so I am not sure if he is taking into consideration Nikon's Creative Lighting System. It is fully automated (and that includes the SB-700). You set the aperature and shutter, make sure the mode on the flash is TTL, and the thrugh a series of micro bursts, the flash determines the distance and amount of light needed. I never worry about a distance scale, and just trust the CLS . . . I fine tune it with the + or - EV on the flash.