lint in the mirror.

Claudia!

I went out to take photos today. I found a piece of lint in the mirror. I checked the viewfinder and the lens. I finally took off the lens and saw it on the mirror. I know this is the most sensitive place for the camera. I tried the whole "lock the mirror up for cleaning" and used a dust blower. It did not help. The lint is still in the mirror. I am a bit scared to do anything else. I don't want to damage anything. The lint is a little bigger than a pen mark. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any advice?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Is the lint on the mirror or on the sensor? If it's on the mirror you can use a (sensor) swab with some lens cleaner on it to clean the mirror. If it's on the sensor, then you do need to take more precautions because THAT part is the most sensitive part.

Claudia!

hmmm being a newbie, I am honestly not sure. What is the difference? I looked at the manual. The pic points to the mirror. The particle is on the bottom section. I am assuming it is the mirror because of the reflection.

ohkphoto

Snow White
DON'T raise the mirror. Use a swab moistened with lens cleaner and just gently wipe the mirror. You don't need a lot of fluid on the swab. Just slightly moist.

Claudia!

Update: I cleaned the mirror. I was able to remove the particle BUT I ended up scratching th mirror. You can't see it through the view finder. It doesn't reflect onto the pictures. It is a big scratch though. It is getting on my nerves. Will nikon fix this?

ohkphoto

Snow White
I doubt that your mirror is scratched unless you used a nail file to clean it. I clean my mirror with a swab very frequently and never scratched it. I'm suspecting those are streaks on your mirror. It sound like you just need to go to a camera store and ask them to clean your mirror.

Claudia!

Well turns out the lint was on the other side. I think the scratch might have been there before I cleaned it. I think once I cleaned it, it was revealed. I used a cotton swab that came with a cleaning kit. The cotton swabs have very pointy ends. I was very gentle with it though. I am going to the camera store tomorrow just in case.

Claudia!

No. I switch the lenses with the camera facing down. I just deep cleaned my camera a few days ago. It was on the sensor. I have extended warranty on my camera with best buy. It's suppose to cover "accidental damage." I might still get it checked out even though you can't see it on the pictures.

Claudia!

I cleaned the entire camera. I used the "lock the mirror up for cleaning" and used the blower. I also cleaned the outside of the camera. I think it might of been at this time that the lint got in there. I never used the cotton swabs or anything to clean the inside other than the blower. I was scared to touch them and now I know why.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Claudia,

I remember reading somewhere that there is a line in the mirror that is built in and has some function. It looks like a scratch, diagonal but in fact is something to let the light get to the focusing device (not too sure but think this is what I've read). So I would not be worried if it's only on the mirror and doesn't affect your photos. It is a good idea to remove the lint BEFORE it gets stuck on your sensor though. You could just use a wet Q-tip to pick it up gently without a problem.

fotojack

I've noticed a few people when changing lenses will do so quickly, even with the camera body pointed down. Think about it; quickly removing the lens from the body will create a suction directly surrounding the lens and body, pulling whatever dust and any other contaminants into the body opening. WRONG!! Take the lens off slowly as to not create this suction around the lens/body opening. Then attach the new lens the same way....slowly. Just thought I'd throw this out there for ya. :)

Claudia!

Thanks everyone. The reason I thought it was there before is because I previoulsy saw a line. The thing is that this "Scratch" is a bit off centered. I have always been scared to use a q-tip because of such stated reasons but did not see any other choice at the time. I typically remove the lint or dust beforehand with the blower. I may have to look into another cleaning kit as mentioned. I would rather pay for someone to clean it. I am clumsy and have a bad habit of messing things up. I have tried so hard to learn the right way to take care of my camera and how to be gentle with it but I obviously messed this one up! -_- Thankfully you can not see it in the pics, which is what matters most.

@newbshooter, Where can i look into the deek skin swabs? Sounds interesting.

@fotojack, you have a valid point. I am guilty of that. What I would think is that the quicker I change the lens, the less chance of something getting in. Overall, I have tried to get into a routine of changing my lens beforehand rather than "in the moment." I will have to change my lens slower from now on.