Noisy focussing 18-135

Patrick M

I've had this kit lens for just over 2years.
its started making quite a loud clicking clunking noise when auto focussing, and seems to hunt quite a bit. I guess it's a repair jobbie?
:-(

Patrick M

Given that it's not cheap, I have sent it to Nikon UK for a repair. I'll give you cost and report back on the lens when it is returned.

FYI, it was the kit lens with my D80 2 years ago. I traded the camera up for the D5100 a few months back.
The lens is one I use a lot, so I figured I'd get it fixed :)

Regards
Patrick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I had this lens but it never provided any decent bokeh shots. I would have bought a 18-105mm VR to replace it instead of getting it fixed.

You should have tried it outdoor where there is good light. It will hunt if it is too dark. You can always use your flash to assist it with auto focus.

Patrick M

... I would have bought a 18-105mm VR to replace it instead of getting it fixed...

I may do that if the repair quote is too high.
Point is that the lens never made a sound before...so even if its ok in good light or with a flash, that doesn't resolve the fact that there's an issue with it. Anyway, its certainly something I don't like the sound of.
We all have our favourite lenses...this just happens to be one of mine :-(

Patrick M

Soooooooo....at the end of last week I sent the lens off to Nikon UK and today they came back with the all-in quote of £100 (~$160) which covers everything,labour, tax, shipping and parts.

Given the cost of replacing the lens, I think this is pretty good. Thank you Nikon :)

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patrick M

Good news. Just had the lens delivered back to me by courier from Nikon
:)
They made some repairs, plus a good clean and service to boot. As good as new now and QUIET too.Total cost was, as mentioned £100 , so given the cost of buying a replacement, I think this is money well spent!
Doubly so, as I use this lens an awful lot, PLUS I'm doing one of Nikon's in-house courses next week in Kingston-upon-Thames...so good timing too

Patrick:)

Last edited:

unkyjohn

That sounds like a reasonable deal - I had a quote of £370 from Nikon last year on a 70-300mm lens that wouldn't focus. So I bought a new lens for £399 and sold the faulty one for £130 on eBay.

John

Patrick M

That sounds like a reasonable result too - shame they wanted such a high figure to fix it though. I guess it depends on the complexity of the repair at the end of the day...