plz help DX lens or FX lens on D5100

msieee

i have a D5100 with 18-55mm kit lens and DX 35mm F/1.8G.

Now I like to have a macro and a zoom lens. initially I select DX 85mm macro and DX 55-300mm zoom lens. But now i am confused with FX lens r available. I fond that many ppl said that it better to have FX lens than DX. Bt is FX really perform well on DX bodies.

And if FX dose good job then 70-300mm for zoom and 60mm for macro is to go for. Plz reply and thanks in advance.

JoeLewisPhotography

FX is generally only better on a DX (financially speaking), if you are planning to upgrade in the future to an FX (Full Frame) body. FX is pro grade glass, and costs 2-3 times as much as DX lenses. if money is no object, the obvious choice would be FX. They work just fine on DX bodies. It's the DX lenses that dont work well (or at all in some cases) on FX bodies.

- If you buy FX, it will last you as long as you are into photography, no matter which body you have and you will have "pro" grade glass.

- If you buy DX, you will have a lesser quality lens that will limit you should you upgrade bodies someday. You will have to sell your DX lenses and buy all FX lenses anyway.

Make sense?

Onto your last question...the 60mm micro is labeled as an FX and will work just fine on your body. The 70-300 though is a DX lens which will also work well.

It depends on your budget, and how serious you are and plan to be about photography. if money is no object, go for the better FX stuff. if you are on a budget like most people, and this is just a hobby for you, the DX stuff will suit you just fine.

Last edited:

msieee

FX is generally only better on a DX (financially speaking), if you are planning to upgrade in the future to an FX (Full Frame) body. FX is pro grade glass, and costs 2-3 times as much as DX lenses. if money is no object, the obvious choice would be FX. They work just fine on DX bodies. It's the DX lenses that dont work well (or at all in some cases) on FX bodies.

- If you buy FX, it will last you as long as you are into photography, no matter which body you have and you will have "pro" grade glass.

- If you buy DX, you will have a lesser quality lens that will limit you should you upgrade bodies someday. You will have to sell your DX lenses and buy all FX lenses anyway.

Make sense?

Onto your last question...the 60mm micro is labeled as an FX and will work just fine on your body. The 70-300 though is a DX lens which will also work well.

It depends on your budget, and how serious you are and plan to be about photography. if money is no object, go for the better FX stuff. if you are on a budget like most people, and this is just a hobby for you, the DX stuff will suit you just fine.

thanks buddy for the info. now i feel its better to have the FX lens. initially i like to have the DX 85mm macro and the DX 55-300mm zoom. bt found that if i wait for one month then i can have the FX 60mm macro and the FX 70-300mm zoom. what u say?

and i am not a pro or serious photographer. its a way for me to distress