Useful lens to compliment 18-55mm or do I part exchange?

Sloup

Hi, I bought my camera in February with the 18-55mm lens as part of the purchase. I love the camera and I just want to go out and do as much as possible with it. I also know I'm inexperienced and don't want to get carried away and make the wrong decisions.

I would really appreciate help with the following:

Do I keep my 18-55mm lens and compliment it as I'm feeling a little restricted with the zoom capability and wide angle?

Should I part exchange the 18-55mm and buy a lens with more zoom capability?

I've read so much I'm now confused as people are suggesting the 18-55mm is decent quality and I don't want to compromise by buying a more general lens. I also know I am no way near an experienced photographer, more enthusiastic beginner and I'm not loaded so I'll be saving my pennies for each purchase.

Any help/ advice would be very welcome and appreciated as I'm confusing myself.

Cheers!

ZekeMenuar

Hi, I bought my camera in February with the 18-55mm lens as part of the purchase. I love the camera and I just want to go out and do as much as possible with it. I also know I'm inexperienced and don't want to get carried away and make the wrong decisions.

I would really appreciate help with the following:

Do I keep my 18-55mm lens and compliment it as I'm feeling a little restricted with the zoom capability and wide angle?

Should I part exchange the 18-55mm and buy a lens with more zoom capability?

I've read so much I'm now confused as people are suggesting the 18-55mm is decent quality and I don't want to compromise by buying a more general lens. I also know I am no way near an experienced photographer, more enthusiastic beginner and I'm not loaded so I'll be saving my pennies for each purchase.

Any help/ advice would be very welcome and appreciated as I'm confusing myself.

Cheers!

Either the Nikon 55-200mm AF-S VR DX or the Nikon 55-300mm DX AF-S VR lens will compliment the poor unloved kit lens nicely.
I have both lenses. Either one is a good choice.

AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED - Nikon Product Database

AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikon Product Database

Adorama had refurbished 55-300's for a pretty good price.
http://www.adorama.com/NK55300VRR.html#reviews

I'd hang on to the 18-55. It's a pretty decent lens.
If you try to sell the 18-55 you probably won't get much out of it because there are lot's of them out there.

Last edited:

Mike150

You'll find you will probably want to have both. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200. At first I was using the longer lens almost exclusively. Later I found I am using the shorter lens much more often. Especially when indoors.

Also, think about what you want to shoot. It it's that bird in the tree or the deer across the field, then you'll need a longer lens. I'd suggest going with the 55-300 because if you get the 200 like I did, you'll always wish you had a little longer reach. (200 was the longest avail when I bought mine). Just make sure it is a VR lens, you won't regret it.

§am

I think the 18-55 is a much under rated lens simply because it comes as part of a kit/bundle.
It's a fantastic lens for the price, for the usability, and foremost a great lens for anyone wanting/willing to learn or new to the whole photography thing with dSLRs (like me).
Keep it, you'll find it useful for indoor stuff for the most.

As already said, depending on what you want to do with your camera, a 55-200 (or 55-300) will compliment your kit lens quite well if you want to venture out with it.

My next purchase though is a prime lens.... The AF-S 50mm 1.8G is on the cards if I can get it cheap enough.
I don't think I'm brave enough to get a manual focus one like the AF 50mm 1.8D (though seen recently at £~90 makes it so tempting)

I think this is something worth looking into for yourself... go for a zoom followed by a prime, or vice versa - just depends on you photography needs/likes

AC016

You'll find you will probably want to have both. I have the 18-55 and the 55-200. At first I was using the longer lens almost exclusively. Later I found I am using the shorter lens much more often. Especially when indoors.

Also, think about what you want to shoot. It it's that bird in the tree or the deer across the field, then you'll need a longer lens. I'd suggest going with the 55-300 because if you get the 200 like I did, you'll always wish you had a little longer reach. (200 was the longest avail when I bought mine). Just make sure it is a VR lens, you won't regret it.

My sentiments exactly. It depends on what your subject is going to be. That being said, sticking to one lense and hoping it will do everything, is not a good idea either. Invest in that 55-200 with VR, they are not that expensive. The 18-55 is a great lens, don't get rid of it!!

Sloup

Thank you all for great advice!

It's so hard to research as there's quite a lot of conflicting advice, so I'm really grateful to all who replied and you're all saying the same thing, really helpful.

I will cherish my 18-55, go for the 55-300 and look to invest in a prime lens further down the line. I'm addicted and drive my family mad as I carry my camera everywhere, but I didn't want to waste money being impetuous and be all the gear no idea.

Cheers again I feel much happier about future purchases.

§am

If you want to take a gamble - the AF 50mm 1.8D (manual) is on a great price at the moment at Amazon.

Last edited:

eurotrash

... Just make sure it is a VR lens, you won't regret it.

Yea, second this. I have a Tamron 70-300 and it's NOT the VR equivalent model. When I was just starting out I really didn't care or know any better. For around $130 it was a bargain. I REALLY REALLY wish it had VR now though..

Patrick M

You may have read elsewhere here that my 18-55 kit lens went for repair yesterday...I've it for just over 2 years and it was my favourite. I also have the 55-200 which is a wonderful lens too ... Although I do wish that I'd gotten the 55-300 instead
That with the 35mm 1.8G prime and one micro (new - so no comment) I've never been short of the right lens....but what do I know, I'm a beginner too ha ha

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PeterParker

I started out with the kit 18-55, and soon purchased the 55-200. The only issue that I had with that configuration was that I consistently found myself switching between the two lenses a lot. Sometimes I missed the shot that I wanted, and other times I did not even take the shot because I did not feel like switching. I eventually purchased a 18-250 Sigma with OS. I keep this lens on my 5100 most of the time, and find myself much happier. I still have the 18-55 and the 55-200 nikkor's and will use them instead of the Sigma if I feel like there will be no need to switch at that particular time.

§am

The 18-200 is ~5x more than the 18-55 in price, and IMO it's worth keeping the later as it's a very good lens for what it is(!)

Also useful for when you're too tired to carry 1/2kg of glass around