First Wedding

Stangman98

Do my first and hopefully only wedding this weekend. Should be interesting. Everything is outside. At least the lighting will be good. Then they want to do this sparkler thing later on. Anyone done the sparkler photo? I bought a new cable release and from what I can see, shoot on bulb with the cable release seems to be the key.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
by sparkler photo do you mean this?

00DO31-25412284.jpg

Just-Clayton

I did my 2nd wedding last weekend. I carried around both the 300s and the 3100. On the 3100 I kept my 85mm on it. As for the 300s I shot outside with the 50mm and inside with the 35mm. Pictures came out great. good luck.

Stangman98

Well...completed the wedding. Went off without a hitch. Very nice wedding. Outdoors. Not sure I if I am a fan of shooting weddings yet or not.

Looks like you did really well Nice mix of formal and casual shots but as always the devil is in the detail .
Never have bride on grooms right arm...
Never stand anyone to obstruct full view of b and g
No men with hands in pockets
No men standing like footballers or with hands behind like amputees
No hand around waists sticking out or over shoulders.
The way to make it easy is to have two photographers with good 18-200 zooms one to work the back and one the front /one for the formal and one the informal ......

yes you did a great job and many will come on to say none of the above matters ..quite right lets all decend into being slobs.

Last edited:

Stangman98

I really appreciate the feedback. The wedding was last minute and very informal for I told them to do whatever they wanted. They just wanted to have a good time and that's what I tried to capture. I would rather do more formal, but for my first time out it was good experience.

Its down to your settings use A mode F8 auto iso 200 to your max ( 3200 or 6400) set on bulb with flash on ( this exposes the bride and groom ) must be dark and well away from any background ....Start with sparklers at the top ..tell them to start to move the sparklers when they see the flash and move the sparklers taking about 3 seconds to reach the bottom...use a tripod...if you dont like the flash lighting then set flash on its lowest manual so it becomes a signal of when to start moving ....
If you want to practice suspend a brick from 6 ft of cord and attach a sparkler and set the brick swinging or get the wife to do it .

you can get about 3 attempts out of 1 sparkler...

warriormom

excellent. i have already instructed hubby this weekend that he will be playing with sparklers soon. am i correct in assuming that the words 'cable release' and 'wireless remote' can be used interchangeably throughout this post?

you dont need either if its on a tripod ...you will loose that touch if you use a remote ...just say "after the flash goes off move the sparkler in an arc like we practiced"...and hold the release till they get to the bottom ....then do it again ...
your husband can do it with two sparklers to make the heart..

if you dont like the flash on the photo just set to its lowest manual power maybe 1/64 th and point the flash upwards they will still see it and know when to move,

Last edited:

warriormom

hey! thanks for asking. you know, i think it went pretty well. the sun was a little harsh--i was continually overexposed until the sun went down a bit, but i think it went ok. the wind didn't blow the sand around, so the d90 and all my lenses are still working. (i didn't change lenses out there at all.) i have been asked to do another one in october. trying to save up so i will have a back up body before that one. the idea of only having one makes me VERY nervous. not to mention, it's time to have the d90 serviced and i am currently using it to make a living, so, Houston, we have a little problem. here's the link. let me know what you think!! andrea eubanks photography--daniel & emily's wedding

wud

hey! thanks for asking. you know, i think it went pretty well. the sun was a little harsh--i was continually overexposed until the sun went down a bit, but i think it went ok. the wind didn't blow the sand around, so the d90 and all my lenses are still working. (i didn't change lenses out there at all.) i have been asked to do another one in october. trying to save up so i will have a back up body before that one. the idea of only having one makes me VERY nervous. not to mention, it's time to have the d90 serviced and i am currently using it to make a living, so, Houston, we have a little problem. here's the link. let me know what you think!! andrea eubanks photography--daniel & emily's wedding

Looks good :)