another NX2.2 thread......sorry.

bolthead

I need help with this program. When I shoot in RAW, then load them, using Nikon Transfer. All the pics have locks on them. I checked the card, it's not locked. I even formatted it before using it. I cant open any of them using this program, which is brand new. :culpability:

fotojack

I need help with this program. When I shoot in RAW, then load them, using Nikon Transfer, all the pics have locks on them. I checked the card, it's not locked. I even formatted it before using it. I can't open any of them using this program, which is brand new. :culpability:

You have to convert the RAW files to jpg or tiff files. Then you'll be able to see them. :) In other words, when you're finished processing your images in RAW, save them as jpg or tiff. Hope this helps you out.

bolthead

You have to convert the RAW files to jpg or tiff files. Then you'll be able to see them. :) In other words, when you're finished processing your images in RAW, save them as jpg or tiff. Hope this helps you out.
....but I cant even open them to process them, the program wont open them.

fotojack

....but I cant even open them to process them, the program wont open them.

Hmmmm...interesting. Weird but interesting. Well, since I don't shoot in RAW (I prefer jpg), I'll have to defer your question to someone who knows much more about this than I do. I use NX2 also, but like I said, I do everything in jpg, and the program works great for me.

I have the free ViewNX2 that came with my camera and it works perfectly with RAW.
Which camera are you using and which software? I looked at your profile and the post and could not see either.

I have the D3100 also and have used both the ViewNX2 and have used the trial version of Capture NX 2 and both worked perfectly. They are both NX2 so it would help if you used the full name so we all know what you are talking about.
If I were you I would uninstall the software and then reinstall it following the directions very carefully.
Also since this may be a hardware problem what type computer are you using and which operating system.

Oomph

Also since this may be a hardware problem what type computer are you using and which operating system.

Required information to begin to figure out whats what, system specs as well. NX2 runs as a 32 bit application within the 64bit OS,if using Windows 7, framework 4 service pack 2 is required. it is apparently only geared to work with a 32 bit OS. 64 bit systems dont like Nikons NEF codec. Now i wish i wrote down the sources for this info, ill try to find the Addys

amendment:

Nikon RAW (NEF) Codec for 64 bit Vista or Windows 7

From the Nikon website below

System RequirementsWindows
OS Pre-installed versions of Windows® 7 Home Premium/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate (Service Pack 1, 64- and 32-bit editions), Windows Vista® Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate (Service Pack 2, 64- and 32-bit editions), or Windows® XP Home Edition/Professional (Service Pack 3, 32-bit editions only). Runs as a native application in 64-bit editions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 or better
RAM 1 GB or more (2 GB or more recommended)
Hard disk 200 MB required for installation
Monitor resolution Resolution: 1,024 × 768 pixels or more (1,280 × 1,024 or more recommended)
Color: 16-bit color (High Color) or more; 32-bit color (True Color) recommended

Last edited:

crisscross

I need help with this program. When I shoot in RAW, then load them, using Nikon Transfer. All the pics have locks on them. I checked the card, it's not locked. I even formatted it before using it. I cant open any of them using this program, which is brand new. :culpability:

For some reason the files sometimes get locked without asking. You just select the folder, get info (mac command i) and unlock them

westmill

Banned
My guess here is that when downloading Capture NX2... you are given options in what you would like it to work with.
There are 3 options. JPG Tiff and RAW.
Its important you tick all 3 Boxes !!!!!
It will only work with the files you ticked. It will use all files as long as you tick all 3 boxes.
Why they do this is beyond me. But, it certainly does lol
Uninstal the program and reinstal, making sure you tick these boxes !
Capture NX2 is an outstanding program :D

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My guess here is that when downloading Capture NX2... you are given options in what you would like it to work with.
There are 3 options. JPG Tiff and RAW.
Its important you tick all 3 Boxes !!!!!
It will only work with the files you ticked. It will use all files as long as you tick all 3 boxes.
Why they do this is beyond me. But, it certainly does lol
Uninstal the program and reinstal, making sure you tick these boxes !
Capture NX2 is an outstanding program :D

Are you using Windows? If so, what those selection boxes are changing the preferences for what application to start when you click on a file with a specific extension. You can change them outside of any program by change your Windows File Associations. You don't need to reinstall NX2 to change them.

westmill

Banned
Are you using Windows? If so, what those selection boxes are changing the preferences for what application to start when you click on a file with a specific extension. You can change them outside of any program by change your Windows File Associations. You don't need to reinstall NX2 to change them.
Yes Im using windows. I ticked all three of the boxes upon instalation, so Ive no idea If it can be altered without removal, as Ive never tried.
A reinstall is genraly a simple enough task anyway. Its just simply how I would do it :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
A reinstall is generally a simple enough task anyway. Its just simply how I would do it :)

Agreed, but sometimes if an application has been patched multiple times it might be easier just to change the File Associations within the Operating System.

westmill

Banned
Agreed, but sometimes if an application has been patched multiple times it might be easier just to change the File Associations within the Operating System.
I can honnestly say Ive never experienced a problem in that respect. Im no PC wizkid though.
Im getting better though lol. Whichever way he does it, I have a feeling this is the problem. Its been a while since Ive downloaded capture NX2
since Ive used it for years. I started with capture NX and bought the upgrade when It came out. I just remembered having to tick those three
boxes lol. With luck, this will sort him out anyway.:)