D3200 Vs d5100

BeardedBurbler

Hi all. I am fairly new to the dslr world and am considering getting a D3200 with two lenses. My question is, I can get a 5100 with the same lens for the same price as the D3200 or even a bit cheaper . Which way should I go please. I am putting this post on the d3200 section as well.Thanks.

Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Photo Guy

Hi all. I am fairly new into the dslr world and am considering getting a d3200 with two lenses. My question is, I can get a 5100 with the same lens for the same price as the d3200 or even a bit cheaper . Which awe should I go please. I am putting this post on the d3200 section as well.Thanks
Darren

Go and give each camera the SEE, SMELL, FEEL, TASTE AND HEAR test. Then get the one that YOU like the best.

I can tell you all day long about the wonders of either the D3200 or the D5100. But YOU are the one that is going to have to live with your choice.

Take responsibility and make YOUR own choice. You will be surprised at what you will wind up with. :)

Shoots808

For what it's worth, I got the D3200 with the kit lens and after trying it out for a few days I found myself always shooting around 35mm. I also have a 55-200 so if I needed more I would just switch lenses. I thought about it and then realized one of the 35 1.8G lenses would work better for me so I returned the D3200 and ordered a D5100 body and a 35mm DX prime for around the same price as the D3200 kit.

fotojack

For what it's worth, I got the D3200 with the kit lens and after trying it out for a few days I found myself always shooting around 35mm. I also have a 55-200 so if I needed more I would just switch lenses. I thought about it and then realized one of the 35 1.8G lenses would work better for me so I returned the D3200 and ordered a D5100 body and a 35mm DX prime for around the same price as the D3200 kit.

As long as you're happy and it works for you, that's what matters most. Happy shooting. :)
I'll let you in on a little secret............you WILL be yearning for more lenses soon! :) It's called NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) :) It's just the way it is. I don't make up these rules. ;)

Shoots808

As long as you're happy and it works for you, that's what matters most. Happy shooting. :)
I'll let you in on a little secret............you WILL be yearning for more lenses soon! :) It's called NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) :) It's just the way it is. I don't make up these rules. ;)
hahaha, yeah, I already have my eye on the 50mm. My Wife does not like this "NAS"... BTW I am willing to manual focus.

fotojack

Yeah, a lot of wives seem to be the stumbling block standing in the way of our artistic endeavors. ;) And always a good idea to shoot in Manual. This way, YOU'RE in control of the settings, and it teaches you a lot about the golden triangle of shutter, aperture and ISO. Good on ya! :)

Rick M

Here is my simple solution to wives and NAS.

Whenever I want a new lens (it's actually a need, but she doesn't understand), I encourage her to buy a new pair of shoes and get her hair/nails done. The next day "oh, by the way, I ordered a new lens", has worked so far. :)

pedroj

Here is my simple solution to wives and NAS.

Whenever I want a new lens (it's actually a need, but she doesn't understand), I encourage her to buy a new pair of shoes and get her hair/nails done. The next day "oh, by the way, I ordered a new lens", has worked so far. :)

EVIL...LOL:cool:

eurotrash

Isn't there a write-up sticky posted on this topic btw? Search the forums for it, that should point you in a general direction. Then, go to a store and touch, feel, lick, smell and blow snot on the two and see which one feels better as per Carolina Photo Guy's post.

Rick M

My current poject is warming her up to the impending conversion from dx to fx. I'm gonna "need" the D600 and the new 24-85 to start out. I'm begun negotiations on the premise that it will only cost about $1k. Which of course is true, (after I sell my D5100 and dx lenses).

Rick M

Don't try this at home...,

One failed attempt was based on the "extra paycheck" concept. Since we get paid every 2 weeks, twice a year the extra paycheck month occurs. I suggest she keep hers and I keep mine (mine is about 10x's as much :)).

Somehow she caught on :(!

Eye-level

Banned
There is always back up pieces in every good plan such as if I could only get FX then I could have my train and waterfall photos blown up to huge dimensions so they will bring bigger dollars when I sell them... :)

danix

New member here. Read the thread with interest.
I've been waiting on a D7000, which was out of stock, then thought maybe I'd just get the D5100.
Along comes the D3200 with apparently tremendous bang for the buck.

There's no doubt that the D3200 and D5100 are pretty close in terms of specs.
My question is, with the D5100 kit now selling for $50 BELOW the D3200 kit, is the D5100 still the better camera?

Rick M

New member here. Read the thread with interest.
I've been waiting on a D7000, which was out of stock, then thought maybe I'd just get the D5100.
Along comes the D3200 with apparently tremendous bang for the buck.

There's no doubt that the D3200 and D5100 are pretty close in terms of specs.
My question is, with the D5100 kit now selling for $50 BELOW the D3200 kit, is the D5100 still the better camera?

It depends on what features are important to you. Does the newer sensor trump auto bracketing for you?

WhiteLight

lol, this is like the best advice to help with NAS. I'm so gonna try this... :p

Well, on that topic i must be really lucky or the NAS must be in it's very early days.
My wife got me the d5100 which is why am here & when i started drooling (well almost) for the 70-300, she pushed me to get it :D