Nikon 24-85mm AF-S opinions?

johncook

Nikon 24-85mm AF-S (f/3.5-4.5)opinions?

Hey,Does anyone have this lens or has anyone used it?I've read some good reviews on it, and like the fact it works on FX cameras too so would be able to use it in the future when I move to FX. They seem to be in short supply as they are a few years old. I use my 28-80 most on my D7000 out of all my lenses (although it's cheap, it's pretty sharp but lacks a manual focusing ring) so i like the range this offers as it's similar.Appreciate any views.

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

With the rumors floating around about a possible low-costing, FX camera, I've considered this lens, myself. I await comments on it.

Last edited:

Browncoat

I used this lens several times while working as an intern for the newspaper last summer. That was a year ago, so bear with me:

Pros:
1) It's surprisingly sharp for a $300 lens. You won't be disappointed in this department.

2) The autofocus was very responsive and fairly quiet if I remember correctly.

3) I would probably buy this lens myself if it weren't for #2 listed below. It's a lot more lens than the asking price, but...

Cons:
1) The body is plastic, and it feels cheap, even as far as cheap lenses go. If you're one that goes on photo walks a lot and carries lenses in anything but a photography-specific bag/backpack, I'd be worried about breaking it. In other words, don't store this lens in a pocket or vest, or leave it bouncing around attached to your camera.

2) The zoom and focus rings are reversed on this lens (WTF?!?). It's very wonky and frustrating to use at times. I've read that there are a couple of other Nikon lenses like this, but I've never used one.

Phillydog1958

I used this lens several times while working as an intern for the newspaper last summer. That was a year ago, so bear with me:

Pros:
1) It's surprisingly sharp for a $300 lens. You won't be disappointed in this department.

2) The autofocus was very responsive and fairly quiet if I remember correctly.

3) I would probably buy this lens myself if it weren't for #2 listed below. It's a lot more lens than the asking price, but...

Cons:
1) The body is plastic, and it feels cheap, even as far as cheap lenses go. If you're one that goes on photo walks a lot and carries lenses in anything but a photography-specific bag/backpack, I'd be worried about breaking it. In other words, don't store this lens in a pocket or vest, or leave it bouncing around attached to your camera.

2) The zoom and focus rings are reversed on this lens (WTF?!?). It's very wonky and frustrating to use at times. I've read that there are a couple of other Nikon lenses like this, but I've never used one.

This lens is listed for anywhere from $670-$1,000. Maybe you have the wrong lens. . . . Nevermind. I see which one you're referring to. My bad. There's a f3.5-4.5 and another version that is faster, at f2.8-4. I was referring to the faster lens.

EDIT: For clarification, the original poster was referring to the less expensive f3.5/4.5G lens.
- Browncoat

Last edited by a moderator:

johncook

oh its the f3.5/4.5 G lens I was talking about.

I've just bought one on Ebay so will get it and give it a good workout and post up my thoughts (probably be over a week though)

thanks for the input.

I've read its got cheap / plastic construction but thats ok, so is the 28-80 i'm using now, and thats stood up pretty well over the last year, it will hopefully make a decent walk around lens.

pedroj

I have the [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Nikon AF-n Nikkor 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5...[/FONT]Bought it of ebay and used it regularly until i bought the 28-70mm F2.8