D700 vs D7000

johncook

Hi guys,

Does anyone own both the D700 and D7000 who can tell me how they compare in low light shooting? Obviously I'd expect the D700 to be better with an FX sensor but how much better?

I shoot a lot indoors, so light can be an issue. It's fine with an f1.8 prime lens but with my other lenses stopped down for detail I have to push the ISO up a bit.

Any other general comparison points would be good to know too.

Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've got both and can tell you it's better. But by how much… It's kind of hard to quantify. But the files are nicer. Why don't you try to rent one for a weekend and then see for yourself if the investment is worth it. I know it was for me. Have a look in my gallery or my 366 posts in the forum and you'll see shots made with both.

johncook

Thanks guys,

I think if I rented one I'd want to buy one straight away!!

Only had the D7000 a year and it's a great camera (as u already know!)

I keep telling myself I should have the D7000 for at least 3yrs and feel I'm progressing with my photography before I splash out on a full frame camera.

I've got a lot to learn still and want to do a few photography courses to help me develop. An FX camera is definitely something I will get in the future though.

McNikon

Has anyone got good side by side D7000 vs D700 comparison photos of the same scene, or can link to some?

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I've not seen one but if you go to DxOMark and look at their side-by-side comparisons of the D7000 vs. D700, show the D7000 ISO (low light) rated an 1167 while the D700 ISO rated a 2303. But in dynamic range the D7000 comes out on the top. (see HERE)

Nikon D7000

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/441|0/(brand2)/Nikon

[h=3]DxOMark Sensor Scores[/h]
Overall Score
[?]

Portrait
(Color Depth)
[?]

23.5 bits

Landscape
(Dynamic Range)
[?]

13.9 Evs

Sports
(Low-Light ISO)
[?]

1167 ISO

Nikon D700

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/441|0/(brand2)/Nikon

[h=3]DxOMark Sensor Scores[/h]
Overall Score
[?]

Portrait
(Color Depth)
[?]

23.5 bits

Landscape
(Dynamic Range)
[?]

12.2 Evs

Sports
(Low-Light ISO)
[?]

2303 ISO

fashion2015

The Nikon D7000 has on its list of features a 16.2 mega pixel DX formatting option. Six frames can occur per second and there can be up to 100 pictures taken at one time consecutively. This gives photographers a large option in what they can use this camera for and the amount of pictures that can be taken in rapidity.
There is a 2,000 mega pixel camera attachment and a color sensor that makes it stand out from its competitors more clearly and with ease. There are twin SD card slots located on the device and several other optional, as well as, built in features that make for a device that can be utilized to make for a great photographer experience. At around $1,100, the Nikon D7000 is considered on the higher end of the photography spectrum.
Read more: Nikon d7000 vs nikon d400

Curt

I am very happy with both, I have had my D 7000 for about a year (no problems with it at all) I just got a D 700 and I love it so far.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi guys,

Does anyone own both the D700 and D7000 who can tell me how they compare in low light shooting? Obviously I'd expect the D700 to be better with an FX sensor but how much better?
Thanks

Aside from what Marcel and Sam have mentioned, you'll get a wider scene and about 1 stop better than the D7000.