Help...what's wrong with my D7000

mr_nikonian

please help me...whats the wrong with my camera...there is a blue dot in upper left in every picture. is this because of dust or problem in sensor.

thanks.

4.jpg1.jpg2.JPG3.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, this sure looks like dust on the sensor.
Cleaning will take care of it.

You can have it done or do it yourself if you want. Google sensor cleaning and you'll find many tutorials on the web that explains the process.

After reading all this, I still had it done on mine but insisted to assist so I actually watched how it's done. Now I do it myself.

But if you are lucky, sometimes just a blow of air can dislodge it so you don't have to resort to wet cleaning.

Just-Clayton

I had the same problem( not the ufo part). Mine was very annoying. It was a piece of fiber or hair that was in the sensor area. I would clean the area and blow it out. It would come back. After a real close look i found the fiber sticking up Just behind where the mirror settles.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
If it happens with only one lens it could be dirt on the lens or inside the lens. Otherwise, yeah, it's dirt on the sensor.

silverthornne

While you get it cleaned, usually taking photos with wider aperture openings will not show the speck of dust. Unfortunately that's not the best way to take landscape shots...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Browncoat

It's dirt but it is a small speck of oil which happens when Nikon placed an excessive application of lubricant inside the shutter mechanism. This is a common issue that has been known with the D7000. You can easily clean it with a sensor cleaner.

Because this is a D7000, I'm more inclined to agree with gqtuazon. This has been a well documented issue with early versions of that camera. I haven't seen any definitive answer on which serial numbers tend to have the most issues. But in everything I've read, if your camera begins with 62XXXX or below, odds are it is in fact an oil spot.

Serials 5XXXX and 3XXXX seem to have more problems than most.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
That is NOT dust on the sensor. THAT is that damn annoying UFO that always abducts some drunk redneck!

You can tell because they are always out of focus! :confused: :)

This sounds like you have experienced this situation :), don't even try to say the drunk redneck was a friend of yours! :)

Helene told me that Pete has never been the same since he experienced the UFO "probe". . . .

gfinlayson

Oil spots on the D7000 were limited to a small production run. It was a QC issue in the bearing of one of the three internal motors. The bearing seal allowed lubricant to spray out which then found its way onto the sensor. The shutter mechanism doesn't have any lubricant on it.

evan

Banned
i would check the back of the lens first, but if it is on the sensor you may have to wet clean it. try blowing it with a rocket blower or simular.

gfinlayson

It's something on the sensor - at f/7.1 it's larger and fuzzier. At f/13 it's smaller and clearer. Try cleaning the sensor with a blower first, if that fails, you'll need a wet clean. I wet clean mine every few months - it takes about 5 minutes with the right tools for the job.