D90 Nikon brand Grip issues

Oomph

I just picked up my first DSLR today, D90 with SB-700 , Tamron 90mm Macro and the MB-D80 grip. The problem im having is that after 4 hours of charging the battery i tossed it into the grip and got nothing on the display but a dead battery,so i tossed it in the charger for another 5 hours and nada, hit up Google to find this is not a rare problem and a solution. I have to back off quite a few threads on the locking wheel to get it to work, effectively causing the grip to have some shake and rattle, I couldnt find anything better then that, any solutions out there to get the grip to sit tight and not get the dead battery syndrome?

Oomph

So, i finally found a site with a fix, seems the middle pin needs to be bent inside the camera as it is not in line with the left and right side. The numerous post i read on this suggest taking a screwdriver and bending it till it sits level with the other two, or some paper to cause the battery to sit slightly out of level inside the grip, I think ill try the latter heh, not going to take the chance of breaking my camera, only a day old!

fotojack

Instead of paper, why not use a bit of sponge type material, such as a thin flat sponge or rubber washer between the camera and grip. That will take up the rattle and possibly align it properly, too. Just a suggestion. :)

Oomph

@Browncoat Tried that this morning, it was the last one in stock, there was another D90 shooter in the store who had the same problem with his, he mentioned he went to return his unit and found the other 5 he looked at had the same issue. So its so far seems to be a 5 to 1 problem with the body ( taken from one source )

@fotojack I like your idea better then fitting the paper inside the battery chamber, swift thinking there ;)

Here is a link to an old blog with pictures of the issue at hand, from June 2010

Nikon MB-D80 Battery Grip Quick Review and Empty Battery Problems - Photo Journal - Random Thawts

Oomph

Just wanted to post an update to the MB-D80 dead battery issue plaguing the D90 for quite a while. I read dozens and dozens of posts about bending the middle "signal" pin outwards to align the 3 pins in accordance with the positions of the 3 pins on the battery, after trying to bend the pin for 20 min, quite a resiliant piece of copper i might add, it just would not bend into place. After another 3 hours of surfing i came across a Flicker thread, in this thread a poster mentioned that the "stalk" or male end of the grip, if studied carefully, you would notice that the framing insert below the pin cluster is not snapped into place properly. After giving the plastic housing a good squeeze it snapped into place and i did not have to bend any pins, no more dead battery and fully tightened. Just wanted to put that out there in case a member has a similar issue with this Nikon grip.

Photowyzard

I am glad it is resolved. However, I am still puzzled as to why you simply didn't return it to the store for an exchange. By attempting to fix it yourself, had you broken it.... no warranty, no exchange, no anything.

For the record, I too have an MB-D80 and mine fit perfectly and worked straight out of the box. I have never had any issue with it and it has been on my camera for almost two years now. One of the best purchases I made for my D90, the extra battery has been the perfect accessory for extended shooting time. I recommend this accessory to anyone who has a D90. It gives the camera an excellent feel.

grandpaw

Just wanted to post an update to the MB-D80 dead battery issue plaguing the D90 for quite a while. I read dozens and dozens of posts about bending the middle "signal" pin outwards to align the 3 pins in accordance with the positions of the 3 pins on the battery, after trying to bend the pin for 20 min, quite a resiliant piece of copper i might add, it just would not bend into place. After another 3 hours of surfing i came across a Flicker thread, in this thread a poster mentioned that the "stalk" or male end of the grip, if studied carefully, you would notice that the framing insert below the pin cluster is not snapped into place properly. After giving the plastic housing a good squeeze it snapped into place and i did not have to bend any pins, no more dead battery and fully tightened. Just wanted to put that out there in case a member has a similar issue with this Nikon grip.

I was reading your post and just want to clarify what you are talking about. Was the part that needed to be snapped in on the grip? Jeff Never mind, I re read your post again and it says that it is the grip plug with the problem. Thanks for posting the answer.

Last edited: