D7000 VS. D800 (Identical article in the D800 forum)

texaslimo

I am considering purchasing a new camera and am stuck between the Nikon D800 and the Nikon D7000. The 800 is considerably more expensive, but is a 36MP full frame camera versus the 7000 which is 16MP and DX formatted.
I am an amateur at best. I understand the concepts of photography, but not well enough to set my current DSLR (a D70) to manual if the shot is to count. This may change as I continue to learn more. I most frequently use the program or auto selections on my current camera. I will most often be taking nature shots, either landscape or macro. I will occasionally shoot portraits as well.
Overall, the 800 is a much better camera, I believe. I need to find out whether it will still be so much better of a camera when using my current lenses, or if I will have to upgrade to FX lenses to see the better quality over the D7000. My current lenses are:
Nikon DX AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR

1. Are the improvements of the 800 enough over the 7000 to be worth the purchase price?
  2. Are these improvements ones that I will be able to appreciate without being a professional? It does me no good to dole out dollars for advances that I will not likely be able to notice.
  3. If I shoot with the 800 using a DX lens, will I end up with a 36MP shot or a reduced MP picture due to the cropping effect of the DX lens?

pedroj

[3] I think the 36 megapixels become less...[2] I'm not sure you would notice the difference...[1] maybe, but to get the best out of the expensive D800 I feel you would need FX lens..

If it was me I would probably buy the D7000 and some better lens that can be used on DX/FX for a future shift to full frame...

gfinlayson

The D800 is a pro-grade FX camera and requires very good technique to get the most out of its 36MP sensor.

1. The key differences are better high ISO performance and better AF - itworks in lower light and at smaller maximum apertures than the D7000's. And of course, it has many more pixels.....

2. If you can't get to grips with a D70 in manual, then the D800 isn't the camera for you (this is my opinion, others may disagree)

3. The D800 will revert to DX crop mode and give you a nearly 16 MP image (slightly smaller file than the D7000) with a DX lens. I think you can override the auto DX mode - on some lenses, you'll get heavy vignetting, on others, you'll be able to get a near 36MP image.

Your 70-300 is already a full-frame lens and will work fine on the D800. The 18-70 will vignette heavily.

In all honesty, I think your money would be better spent on photography workshops and good lenses than a D800. The D7000 has a built-in focus motor and will meter perfectly with AI and AI-s MF lenses, so it substantially widens the range of lenses available to you and is definitely worthy of consideration.

Given the option of buying an expensive camera or upgrading lenses, I would always err on the side of buying good lenses. Lenses last a very long time and hold their value well. Camera bodies depreciate rapidly after a couple of years and are regularly superseded by new models.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
These are two different cameras that shouldn't be compared. I can't wait to try the D800's face recognition which will help out when taking pictures of my family. D800 cost more than 50% plus the additional lenses that you will need. Just be ready to factor in the added cost should you choose to go on the FX route. The other problem is getting a D800 since they are back-ordered.

fotojack

Unless you're turning pro, blowing up all your shots to poster size and having them printed out, there is absolutely NO reason to own a 36MP camera. You being an advanced amateur, or even just an amateur, you'd be better off spending your money on better lenses. And like the others say, it's always best to invest in good glass rather than soon to be obsolete camera models. :)
I myself would rather have a D300, even though I have a perfectly good D200 and a very nice D40. I'll never get rid of those cameras. I'd rather spend my money on good glass. It's a no brainer. Others opinion may vary......but I don't care! :)

gfinlayson

If I can add one more thing - how good your photographs are has very little to do with the camera. It's all about the skills of the photographer. In the hands of a top class photographer, a 'better' camera might let him capture a picture more easily than with a 'lesser' model. Owning a good camera doesn't make you a better photographer. Concentrating on artistic creativity, exposure, lighting, composition, balance and really getting to know your current camera will make better photos.

I've seen pros produce stunning images on compact cameras that I still aspire to with a DSLR and some really expensive glass.

I'd stick with your D70 and learn it inside out in all modes, including manual. Once you've reached the limits of what it can do and the camera is holding you back from the shots you want to achieve, then is the time to consider an upgrade.

I've seen too many enthusiasts spend fortunes on 'upgrades', only to be disappointed by the fact that their photos haven't improved.

In the meantime take lots of photos, get onto some workshops and learn, learn, learn. You might also want to think about lenses that are more suited to your current interests - maybe a dedicated macro lens (there are lots to choose from), and something more specific to portraits, such as the 85mm f/1.8 AF-S......

I once read a quote about a very famous photographer, who on arriving as a guest at someone's house for dinner was told by the host - "Wow, your photos are amazing, you must have a really great camera". On leaving at the end of the evening, he said to the host "Wow, dinner was amazing, you must have a really great stove......"

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am considering purchasing a new camera and am stuck between the Nikon D800 and the Nikon D7000. The 800 is considerably more expensive, but is a 36MP full frame camera versus the 7000 which is 16MP and DX formatted.
I am an amateur at best. I understand the concepts of photography, but not well enough to set my current DSLR (a D70) to manual if the shot is to count. This may change as I continue to learn more. I most frequently use the program or auto selections on my current camera. I will most often be taking nature shots, either landscape or macro. I will occasionally shoot portraits as well.
Overall, the 800 is a much better camera, I believe. I need to find out whether it will still be so much better of a camera when using my current lenses, or if I will have to upgrade to FX lenses to see the better quality over the D7000. My current lenses are:
Nikon DX AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR
  1. Are the improvements of the 800 enough over the 7000 to be worth the purchase price?
  2. Are these improvements ones that I will be able to appreciate without being a professional? It does me no good to dole out dollars for advances that I will not likely be able to notice.
  3. If I shoot with the 800 using a DX lens, will I end up with a 36MP shot or a reduced MP picture due to the cropping effect of the DX lens?

1- Seems the improvements of the 800 are worthy since it's been almost impossible to get one for a lot of people. When something is so much in demand that it's hard to get, that should tell you something.

2- I'm not too sure about this one. It all comes back to the size of your outputs. How large and how often do you actually make prints? I can make beautiful 16x20s with the 7000.

I think that you'd be better with a 7000 and here is why. For your nature shots, it's smaller and lighter to carry with you. With the money saved, you could get a dedicated macro lens (105 2.8) that could also be used for portraits although a little long but great in low light. Also a 35, 50 and 85 1.8 to cover your other needs. And you still have money left...

It's all a question of needs and wants...