D800 vs. D7000

texaslimo

I am considering purchasing a new camera and am stuck between the Nikon D800 and the Nikon D7000. The 800 is considerably more expensive, but is a 36MP full frame camera versus the 7000 which is 16MP and DX formatted.
I am an amateur at best. I understand the concepts of photography, but not well enough to set my current DSLR (a D70) to manual if the shot is to count. This may change as I continue to learn more. I most frequently use the program or auto selections on my current camera. I will most often be taking nature shots, either landscape or macro. I will occasionally shoot portraits as well.
Overall, the 800 is a much better camera, I believe. I need to find out whether it will still be so much better of a camera when using my current lenses, or if I will have to upgrade to FX lenses to see the better quality over the D7000. Eventually i will get FX lenses, but eventually. My current lenses are:
Nikon DX AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR

1. Are the improvements of the 800 enough over the 7000 to be worth the purchase price?
  2. Are these improvements ones that I will be able to appreciate without being a professional? It does me no good to dole out dollars for advances that I will not likely be able to notice.
  3. If I shoot with the 800 using a DX lens, will I end up with a 36MP shot or a reduced MP picture due to the cropping effect of the DX lens?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think that you'd be much better served with a D7000. Get some lenses with the money saved and you'll be very happy.

Sure a Ferrari is a better car than a Cruze. But just to go to work which one would you need.

Rick M

Both of those are more advanced than the D70, which it sounds like you have not yet mastered. The D800 is a huge jump and without skill, you may be disappointed. I'd say the D7000, but it sounds like you should master the basics on what you currently have first.

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

I think that you'd be much better served with a D7000. Get some lenses with the money saved and you'll be very happy.

Sure a Ferrari is a better car than a Cruze. But just to go to work which one would you need.

Good point, but if I'm running late for work, I'd prefer the Ferrari. :cool:

icSlowMo

I would also recommend D7000 over a D800 and spend the difference in money on good glass, a couple of prime lenses (35mm F1.8G, 50mm F1.8G, 85mm F1.8G) and a D7000 would run you about the same money and would get you some fast glass. I have both a D7000 and just got my D800E and find the size and weight alone to be more then what most people will want to carry around.... The D7000 has a lot to offer someone in your position looking to move up and learn how to use the camera/lens combos. Does very well in low light and has custom U1 and U2 settings that many like to use. I use aperture priority mode most of the time saved under U1 and U2 with different picture control settings and control shutter speeds with ISO. Plus FX glass will cost more and weigh more. Just some food for thought hope this helps..

Chris

Dave_W

The Dude
They're both awesome instruments and each have a fairly steep learning curve. I have both and love them each equally. However, you have to take into consideration more than just one body vs. the other. With the D800 you absolutely 100% need a modern computer with preferably a very fast chip (in my case I'm running a 3rd gen i7-3770), a full array of 16 gig DDR-3 @1600, a dedicated graphics card and a minimum 1TB HD (I'm running a 2TB @7200 rpm and a 32 gig SSD). You could in theory get away with a little less but if you're planning on running Photoshop, Lightroom and Nik/Topaz, you'll be glad you have all the above.

However, with the D7000 you can still get away with a couple year old system provided you have at least 8 gig ram and a good processor. Certainly the above set up would work best with what was once considered a large image at 16 mp but 36 mp is more than just 2x 16 mp....if that makes any sense.

stick where you are and wait for the D7200 which should be 24 mp you then have the choice of a second hand D7000 or a new 7200 .....the D600 is on its way ...turbulant times

stmv

own both also, and totally vote for you to get the D7000, and nice prime lens like the 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 60 mm or 105 macro, and focus on technique, and all these lens will be valid for future FX upgrade if you go that route. Keep away from DX lens except perhaps a ultra light kit, like the 18-55 VR (quite sharp), and say a 55-300 VR, so than you have a two lens, light weight awesome travel package. I would never advise anyone to make that much of a jump, plus the D800 is at tank, versus the D7000. You will love the transition from the D70 to D7000 and will have almost 3X the pixels, with more dynamic range.

matt10nick

own both also, and totally vote for you to get the D7000, and nice prime lens like the 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 60 mm or 105 macro, and focus on technique, and all these lens will be valid for future FX upgrade if you go that route. Keep away from DX lens except perhaps a ultra light kit, like the 18-55 VR (quite sharp), and say a 55-300 VR, so than you have a two lens, light weight awesome travel package. I would never advise anyone to make that much of a jump, plus the D800 is at tank, versus the D7000. You will love the transition from the D70 to D7000 and will have almost 3X the pixels, with more dynamic range.

In my experience, the 20 mm 2.8 isn't a great lens on a FX camera. I loved my 20mm when I shot film, but with the APS sized sensor, it lose a lot of it's advantage. It's only 1 stop faster than the kit 18-70 and the bokeh you get is lost. I'd hold off on that lens until you have an FX camera. I'd vote for the 50 mm 1.8. It's one of the sharpest and most versatile lens around, and at $200 (or cheaper if you get the old screw drive type), it's an incredible value. If you think you'll do a lot of close up or portrait work, the 105 would be a great choice.

evan

Banned
i currently use the d90 and d7000 and have recently been thinking of an upgrade. i only have one dx lens, (18-105 dx, the d90 kit lens). all others are fx primes. if i were you , i would go for the d7000, more glass and a good pc. if i do upgrade it will be at least 6 to 12 months after the d7000 replacement comes out. this way i will know of any system bugs and get a better deal. also, you say you rarely leave program, or auto modes. if this is the case you will be wasting your money on a d800. an advanced bridge camera and a lot of practice are what you need most.

Last edited: