3200, 3100 or 5100

hiyamoose

I've read all the threads, but didn't quite see an answer on which to buy. I'm shifting to dslr from p&s (always had Nikons and won't switch).

Looking for high quality photos and not so much video. Got kids and lots of action outdoors and in (in has always been the challenge with lighting). I'm also in So Cal and take lots of outdoor pics, including low-light, night shots, etc.

So, I'm trying to decide between these 3 given the 5100's price redux. My wife picked up the 3100 package for me yesterday as a bday gift. I've been talking, but never buying and she got tired of it. Has the extra 55-200mm lens. Haven't opened it and actually mentioned the 3200 to her a few days ago to her chagrin. May return it and go out to get the 3200 or 5100.

So, is it worth grabbing the 5100 at the same price at this point as the 3200? Has the bracketing people give mixed reviews for needs on. Also has additional settings, which admittedly I don't know that I will necessary have time to use when shooting the kids at events. Everything happens so fast.

If not, is there a real dif b/w the 3100 and 3200? I'm not a pixel-hype guy (nor a newest and best one either) and still pull out the Nikon 7900 when I run out the door, which does some of the best outdoor shots. I'm not looking for poster size prints either. I've seen fantastic reviews about the 3200 though, and most comparisons rate pic quality as better for the 3200.

Give some honest advice please! And, thanks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 3200 is so new that there are not too many on this list that have it. So, I guess you will have to make your own choice. I don't even know what I'd get if I was in your shoes... But the 3200 seems nice on paper and reviews.

JohnFrench

I have had a D3100n for about a year now, and taken many photos, basically same as you, outdoors. Video, haven't used it. So I have been looking at the D5100 with the articulated LCD screen, or the high megapixels of the D3200. What a tough decision, LOL. I know I am looking for the sharpest photo I can get, as I photograph mostly architectural detail of century old buildings from a distance. I am waiting for reports on the D3200 before deciding though.

Rick M

If you are certain you have no desire for bracketing or doing HDR, I would go for the D3200. At this point, the D3200 will retain it's value better over the D3100 , if you ever decided to upgrade beyond a basic DSLR. The D3100 is a great camera, I had one, but from a position of buying new now, it would be the 5100 for bracketing or D3200, to retain it's value. You never know, you might catch the shot of a lifetime and want a 5 foot enlargement :).

ZekeMenuar

If your on a tight budget the D3100 might be the way to go. As the D3200 is rolled out to retailers, D3100's will go on sale to move the remaining cameras in the pipeline.

Sandpoint

I went with the D5100, and am fairly happy. It is a lot of camera for the $$. And it's nice to know that some of the extra features are there when the time comes that you may need it or want to explore them.

I bought the D5100 to hold me over until I either purchase the D7000 or whatever body Nikon may replace it with.. so it's another waiting game for me. until then, I am having fun with the D5100.

A few shots I took a couple days ago...

DSC_0140W.jpg

DSC_0132W.jpg

DSC_0095W.jpg

DSC_0089W.jpg

Shoots808

I got the 3200 and then returned it. I wasn't blown away with the picture quality. I don't know if it was the camera or the kit lens, so I went with a 5100 body and a 35mm 1.8 prime for around the same amount of money as the 3100 kit. The 5100 has proven itself and I found myself always using a 35mm focal length with the kit lens. Now I have my eye in the 50mm next and I will have a nice package for the money.

shoots808 ..did you spend any time adjusting the sharpness and contrast as they are set very soft out the factory........I dont like the light weight tupperware box feel and the strap holders are a pain ( I dont use a neck strap). The noise in the picture is the same as a D7000 so no gain due to the extra megapixels ......just a nasty cheap intro camera.....but a usefull spare for when the shit hits the fan at a wedding ....

Shoots808

I think my main problem was ending up with slower shutter speeds that I liked. I did end up with some decent images but nothing that really blew me away. My other camera is a X100 so it had some tough shoes to fill.
I also don't use the neck strap, I prefer a Gordy's wrist strap.

wind up the auto asa to 400-6400 and set min shutter speed to say 1/60 if you dont have a VR lens 1/15 if you do ..I shoot a lot in churches with no flash so it has to get on with it without my intervention !!!

Last edited:

Vinay Haalgaar

I'm also in the same boat. Let me try to help you. If budget is a constrain then 3100. If your top priority is Image quality then 5100. If its pixels, cropping, wifi, resale, guide mode, learning then its 3200. However all 3 are good cameras(Start with a 35mm/50mm prime lens). A beginner will take thousands of clicks to get even 1 magical/perfect shot. so lets buy and start clicking. I'm just waiting for 3200 to hit the stores and then I'll go for either 3200/5100. Also waiting for DxoMark test of 3200.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
wind up the auto asa to 400-6400 and set min shutter speed to say 1/60 if you dont have a VR lens 1/15 if you do ..I shoot a lot in churches with no flash so it has to get on with it without my intervention !!!

You probably meant ISO instead of ASA if we are talking about DSLR.

A tripod with any camera will be your best tool if flash is a huge factor. This will allow you to compose a sharper image and lower ISO (i.e. ISO 100 or 200).

I would go for the latest which has better video and a newer processor. Save your money and go for the D3200.

ErnieFalcon44

I went with the D5100, and am fairly happy. It is a lot of camera for the $$. And it's nice to know that some of the extra features are there when the time comes that you may need it or want to explore them.

I bought the D5100 to hold me over until I either purchase the D7000 or whatever body Nikon may replace it with.. so it's another waiting game for me. until then, I am having fun with the D5100.

A few shots I took a couple days ago...

DSC_0140W.jpg

DSC_0132W.jpg

DSC_0095W.jpg

DSC_0089W.jpg

How did you do this black background with the green car... nice....

shoots808 ..did you spend any time adjusting the sharpness and contrast as they are set very soft out the factory...

pistnbroke,

Would you please let me know exactly which adjustments you'd recommend (parameters and values)? I just got the 3200, and I'm very happy with its picture quality, but obviously I'd like to optimize it.

Or, if you've got a resource for me with recommendations, would you please refer me to it?

Thanks!

Well personally ..and I only shoot weddings I use the 3200 as a spare hanging on my left shoulder with a 10-20 mm sigma I set at +9 sharpness -1 contrast ( for the white dresses) and 1/2 stop under exposed for the dresses again. I adjust in Lightroom .Out of 1000 photos on a wedding only 20 would be on the 32oo when I need a wide /atmospheric shot .

Last edited: