Landscape help!

Soulphotography

I need help. I have an assignment where I had to do an architectural structure as one subject and the other had to be natural landscape. The architectural one I understand, but what must be excluded from a picture for a natural landscape? All things man made? And would that mean a horse couldn't be in the picture- or because it's in it's natural environment that is ok? And does landscape mean that it has to e a wide angle far away shot, or can it be of a blade of grass and still qualify? I'm confused.

pedroj

No it wouldn't mean wide angle..I have taken landscapes at 300mm....My opinion on a blade of grass wouldn't be a landscape...I think a natural landscape would mean anything not structural...I'm sure out at the ridge you can find some land without a horse or visible animal in it...To be sure Google it...

KWJams

When I think of a your assignment of a natural landscape I think the purpose would be to capture a scene of how we see things naturally with our own two eyes.
We see things naturally near and far as well as in our periphery.
We see foreground details in our path that we may stumble on as well as distant objects that give us a destination.
A wide angle view is more natural with two eyes since it does not compress vision.
Look at a landscape with one eye closed as an exercise to understand how much is lost.
I don't think that the purpose of the assignment would be to trek to some wilderness and take a picture of a distant mountain range when a hillside view of a cityscape captured with the proper composition would equally meet the assignment goal.

Carolina Photo Guy

I need help. I have an assignment where I had to do an architectural structure as one subject and the other had to be natural landscape. The architectural one I understand, but what must be excluded from a picture for a natural landscape? All things man made? And would that mean a horse couldn't be in the picture- or because it's in it's natural environment that is ok? And does landscape mean that it has to e a wide angle far away shot, or can it be of a blade of grass and still qualify? I'm confused.

Why not take a look at Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Waters"?

I don't think there is a better example of architecture and nature existing in harmony.

Just a thought. :)

BTW...

I know you are looking at two separate shots. That does not mean that you have to go to two separate far away locations.

Usually striking architecture and beautiful landscapes go together.

Last edited:

RickSawThat

I had a similar assignment at one time and they wanted NOTHING man made in the shot. But your instructor may mean something different....

Soulphotography

It went really well- for my first time doing any landscape work anyway :) (93/100 for my portfolio)
And the architectural site wasn't far away either, so it worked out well.
I will post a couple of pics when I can get to the computer.

Soulphotography

cracked_094.JPGgreenwithenvy_095.JPGreflection_096.JPGtreesunset_097.JPG
These were my photos I submitted for one section of the landscape part... I like them, even if they are not outstanding in composition...

Stangman98

I love the photos. The middle one really catches my attention. I really love how the base of the tree in the reflection is so clear and as you get towards the top and farther out in the water it gently fades away.