How to check the working condition of new Nikon D7000

phoenix

Hi few months ago I bought a new Nikon D7000 from amazon and it worked fine for 2 days and after it stopped working. I had 100% battery on my camera but i was not able to turn it on. So I returned the camera and last week I bought the new Nikon D7000 again.

Is there any way I can check the quality of the camera (Like a check list to check the working condition of the new camera and the lenses)?. Though its working fine now, I am curious and afraid because I have spend lots of money on it and i just have 30days return policy.

I am just thinking, what if the camera does not work after 30days or later sometime?

please help me in this regard.

Thanks!!!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Really strange that it just died. Sounds like it had a faulty power switch or the contacts on the battery/body weren't connecting properly.

fotojack

You may have a 30 day return policy, but the camera has a 3 year or 5 year warranty, depending on where you live. (I didn't see it in your profile). I would definitely contact Nikon and report this to them and tell them to either fix it, or send you a new camera!

westmill

Banned
I wouldnt worry :) you were just unlucky and its made you a tad paranoid. The fault could even have been the battery.
If its working its working. It should run for years, problem free :D

phoenix

I live in US. I returned the camera and bought the new one last week. somebody told that, we can find some checklist for checking the working condition and each and every feature in the camera. So i am trying to find some check list

emoxley

You may have a 30 day return policy, but the camera has a 3 year or 5 year warranty, depending on where you live. (I didn't see it in your profile). I would definitely contact Nikon and report this to them and tell them to either fix it, or send you a new camera!
I just looked at Nikon's site, and unless you bought an extended warranty, it only has a one year warranty.
Do you have a link to where it says there's a 3-5 yr. warranty? I wish it did have a longer warranty........

See info here: Nikon Warranty and Product Registration

Nikon 2 Year Extended Service Coverages
Nikon sells Two Year Extended Service Coverages for most Coolpix and D-SLR cameras. ( Due to state law, Nikon ESCs are not sold in Florida, Virginia or Washington states.) These coverages extend your original Nikon warranty for two additional years. The ESC can be purchased any time within the original one (1) year Nikon Inc. warranty. Please contact your local Nikon dealer for more information.
It is always recommended that you retain your original sales receipt or copy of your credit card statement as proof of purchase.
See the bold print in the quote.

Last edited:

Tami Jo

I see that you can add this at any point during the first year. Thats good to know. I guess I will definitely want to do this. What does Nikon currently charge for the the Extended Service Coverage?

Nikon Photographer

I really wouldn't worry about it, it could have been a dud battery, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen to the new camera, depends on how much the extended warranty will cost, but it might be worthwhile for peace of mind, I got a 2 year warranty free from Nikon U.K on my new D90