Speedlight/White Balance

DaveW

Hi guys.

Can someone answer a question for me please?

If I'm shooting indoors and set a custom white balance for the incandescent lights, do I need to have a coloured gel attached to the SB -700 I'm using, or leave it as it is?

Thanks.

westmill

Banned
Just leave it on auto ! Your flash is daylight balanced. Why would use incandescent white balance if you are using flash ?
It's generally very obvious just by looking at the pic on the viewer if there is a white balance mix. You can then add a warm filter to
the flash to blend it in. The warm or amber correction filter can be handy at times like when the sun is going down and your lighting
the foreground etc with flash. Just use the filter if and when it's needed.
Which is generally not very often ! Is your auto white balance not working properly ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveW

Thanks for that Westmill.

No its working fine. I just didn't know the answer because I am fairly new to using flash (99% outdoor shots).

To me flash is a total mystery but I like the idea to get into strobist stuff for portraits etc. Up to now I have always used available light or a single light but no flash.

westmill

Banned
I use a lot of flash in my work, as it gives me 100% total control over lighting.
My studio was purpose built and has no windows anywhere. The bulbs I use are coiled 250watt daylight balanced, to light the studio.
These have zero impact on the flash pictures, since the flash is well dominant. If the flash fails to fire, the screen is black !
You can have hours of fun with flash. Just experiment. Getting the flash off camera will allow you to choose light direction and how hard or
soft etc. Change the colouring with filters etc. You can set it to fire minus two stops to fill in hash shadows falling on faces in bright sunlight.
Its the best way of freezing movement, as flash duration can reach very high speeds.
If the dog is mans best friend... then the flash is the photographers best friend :)

DaveW

I can see by your pics you know what your doing - good stuff by the way.

I am picking up a lot of beginners tips on youtube and have talked a few friends into being my victims for a few hours while I experiment with flash.

I think my favourite portraits are low and high key, and what I call real time portraits. That is someone having their picture taken at their home in an atmosphere they are most comfortable with.

Do you think I should get another flash, say another SB-700, or just stick with one for now with different unbrella's etc, until I get better experience?

westmill

Banned
You would be surprised what you can do with a single flash, even when mounted on camera.
If and when shooting girls say, then really soft lighting is generally more flattering to the skin tones.
If you were doing a portrait of maybe an old guy with wrinkly skin etc, then harsher lighting highlighting detail would be more appropriate.
Use light to create mood and atmosphere too. I'm not very fond of brollies actually. Try bouncing from the ceiling with a fill deflector on the flash.
Do your tests against a light background and make sure you keep notes. Then you will be able to see the different effects and know which
system created them. Its largely trial and error. Before long though, you will be able judge a situation quickly and easily.
Just have fun and don't pressure yourself. :D PS... just remember angles.... Think of pool or snooker !

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

LOL...brollies (umbrellas).....haven't heard that term in years! :) although I must say they have their place in photography. I prefer a soft box for portraiture, but I also use "brollies" now and again. :)