Filter quality.

Claudia!

I have been looking into filters for the last few months. I bought some a few weeks back from best buy but returned them because they came with too much lint and looked very much used. I went to the Houston Camera Exchange today. I spoke with a salesperson. The brand he advised was "promaster." I went previously but I was advised filters by B+H that costs between $60-110. This time around, the UV filters where $10-15 and the CP where $40-60. The rep told me that because I had "low quality" lenses that I did not need to buy very expensive filters. He said those filters should be good enough. If I went with a higher end brand or more expensive, that my lenses will not be able to see through it and the quality of image would be worse. I found his info to be sketchy, maybe because he was rushing me off because the store was packed. I asked another guy and he reassured me that what he said was true. Does anyone have any information to add to this? My equipment is below. I have always heard that if you invest so much on your equipment, why put a cheap filter on it? I bought the filters to try them out. I actually really liked them but then again I have never used a filter before. I just feel like maybe I should have spent more on the filters. I thought this was a question that the members of nikonites could answer. lol.

pedroj

Sounds like he was having a lend of you...Your lens wouldn't be able to see through them is a laughable statement [a load of bull]...I don't use them but if I did, I would buy the best because you are putting it in front of your image collector...Any deformations will reduce the quality of your images...If you are going to use them and can't afford to buy all at once buy one at a time..

Cheers

Claudia!

That is exactly what I thought. I bought one to try it out. It did a good job but I want GREAT quality. I just thought he was rushing me off. I did state that I am a beginner but hopefully that did not affect how he treated me or helped me out. Normally everyone is very professional, courteous and helpful there but today was a bit different. Then again, it was way busier than normal. I am happy with the filters but I would rather know if what he said has any merit.

westmill

Banned
Simply buy Hoya Pro Filters. These are just first rate. The guy telling you, your lenses are not top notch is silly and
rather contradictive advice. If your lens doesnt produce high defonition then to my mind it makes sense not to lose even more quality.
Some of the filters, you are just paying through the nose for and your just waisting money.
The hoya pro are as good as they get at any price. You cant go too far wrong with B+W either.
Genraly the Pro stuff or more expensive filters use high grade glass and good multicoating for cutting down on flare and ghosting etc.
One of the bigger differances though is also the thickness of the glass itself. The Hoya pro range has much thinner glass compaired to
standard filters. It stands to reason, the less glass, the better. There are less defects etc.
Cheap filters can lower resolution considerably and notably, even efecting autofocus performance in bad cases, since they can take away
contrast to which your focus relys upon. The hoya pro range are top rate, although I think they are all vastly over priced money making
pieces of equipment. The Hoya and possably B+W offer the biggest bang for your bucks though. :)

Rick M

I agree with westmill, get the best Hoya or B&W you can afford. By the way, Promaster is rumored to be made by Hoya, I have their higher end CPL, it's pretty good. I do plan to upgrade to a pro Hoya or BW soon since I find myself using it allot and want the highest quality.

Last edited:

Claudia!

I just found their advice to be a bit sketchy. I actually took back the CP filter back today. I kept the UV filters for now since they obviously where not a big dent in the bank. I plan to upgrade later on. I know I don't have top of the line lenses but I still want to protect them and use high quality filters. I also want the highest quality of filters. I do plan to invest in better lenses when I have the money. I really just wanted to get a better understanding of their comments. I feel like when I mention "I am a beginner" they just blow me off and didn't care to properly inform me. I love to research and learn about photography. I don't just want to be out there snapping away without knowing what I am doing and what I need to do to improve my technique. I believe that being well informed about my equipment is an important aspect of improving my technique. Thank you everyone for your information. It helped me understand everything better.

mike worswick

In the digital world think of your 16mp camera taking 16 million pictures each time you snap the shutter. Image quality to each of those image receptors needs sharp and clear information. An inexpensive filter like the standard ProMaster filters are designed for simple protection. They are suitable for middle school student cameras where the filter is likely to be abused by a student while protecting the lens.

But with your gear you should have the very best quality. B+W is excellent. So is the ProMaster HGX. The HGX have 16 layers of coatings. The filter blanks are ground just like the elements in your Nikon lens. You are protecting the lens and using the filter to improve the image. Besides the photo coatings the HGX filters have coatings that reduce dust adhesion. They have a coating that keeps mist and moisture from fogging or even sticking to the filter. One of the coatings even makes the filter easier to clean than other brands of filters. All of this is critical. You should be checking and cleaning your lens often. One clump of dust can diffuse your digital image. A filter that speeds up that process is invaluable. It also keeps you from continually cleaning the actual camera lens itself. If you eventually damage the HGX filter (unlikely based on my experience) it it still far less expensive than replacing a Nikon lens.