Lightroom.....?

bolthead

I don't own any versions of Lightroom, but would like to. My question I guess is, why is there so many versions of LR3 on ebay, fairly cheap? Is it that much of a downgrade from LR4? Is it worth buying for a starter? Thanks in advance.

westmill

Banned
Just make sure you are not looking at the student version ! Unless your a student it wont work.
There are also Pirate copys knocking about, as always lol
Capture NX2 would prob be a better choice though ;)

Tobrew

I bought LR3 when it went half price right before LR4 came out and I'm glad I did. Would I like to have LR4? sure. I'm a super happy with LR3? YES. If you can get a legit, non student copy, I would go for it.

Markmako

Hold on, do your research before you buy anything from this group. There are complaints about the Rakuten Group, a subsidiary of Buy.com on the Internet. They are not providing what they advertise and what you pay for. I'm seeing this more and more in photo/video on-line sites, especialy offshore places. These guys are in Japan so our commerce laws may not apply to them. Save yourself some grief, buy from a reputable dealer or from Nik Software and get a legal, full version of the software. As for Capture NX2, it's probably the best image editing software out there for the price. I use Capture NX2, Lightroom4 and Photoshop6 - all for different things. None of them can do it all alone.

westmill

Banned
I should say so yes. especialy at that price. Capture NX2 is a first rate bit of kit for Nikon users at any price.
Arm it later with Nik filter efects and its a formidable tool.

bolthead

Hold on, do your research before you buy anything from this group. There are complaints about the Rakuten Group, a subsidiary of Buy.com on the Internet. They are not providing what they advertise and what you pay for. I'm seeing this more and more in photo/video on-line sites, especialy offshore places. These guys are in Japan so our commerce laws may not apply to them. Save yourself some grief, buy from a reputable dealer or from Nik Software and get a legal, full version of the software. As for Capture NX2, it's probably the best image editing software out there for the price. I use Capture NX2, Lightroom4 and Photoshop6 - all for different things. None of them can do it all alone.
well, the anxious part of me jumped the gun....I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully I'm not in that group you speak of. :dejection:

KWJams

Don't mean to go off topic ----- but can anyone tell me how you can minimize the screen in Lightroom 3 with out closing the program? Please :)

westmill

Banned
Congrats on your purchase :) I also have the adobe master collection with CS4 that cost about £1500
There is little you cant do on Capture NX2 that you can on CS4. Its seriously rare I ever use CS4 now.
To put things into perspective, I only use CS4 when I use My Pentax K5, since Capture NX wont reconise DNG files, which is a shame.
Capture NX produces far better JPGs than CS4 as well. So much so, that, I go through the trouble of turning the Pentax files into tiff images
and producing and finnishing them in Capture NX2. This is no surprise, since Nikon develop Capture NX2 for there own cameras.
To put things into even more perspective, Capture NX2 is so good, it plays quite a big role in my staying with nikon.
If you have any problems with it, drop me a line. Although it also comes with a very good easy to understand and well writen instruction manual.