Print Quality

Claudia!

I am taking a few pictures of a friend for her graduation. They plan to print a few of the shots in mainly 4x6, 5x7 and one big poster size. While shooting, is there certain things to take into consideration when shooting in regards to future prints? Such as is there a certain megapixel setting, resolution, or any form of calibration that I should consider before hand or even in post processing? I don't want the pics to be fuzzy or blurred because I did something wrong. I am planning ahead. I know this is the place to come to if I have any questions. Thank you.

Last edited:

fotojack

Claudia, first and foremost, use a tripod! And if you have one, use a remote or wired shutter release. You don't want any camera shake at all to get the sharpest shot. Do you have any studio type lighting at your disposal? If not, may I suggest you get a soft box. The lighting has to be thought of, too, if they're going to have some photos made poster size. Then again, this all depends how "professional" you want to make these pictures look. :) Oh....and if your camera has three sizes of formats to choose from, I'd go for the Large size. That will give you the best resolution for when they're processed into a poster. Others may have varying opinions. I just give you my thoughts from experience. :)

Claudia!

I want them to look as professional as possible. I am still learning everything that comes with photography. I am doing it as a favor for her but just getting the experience is a favor in it's own for me. Either way, I want to do the best job possible. I did read in the manual that the Large size is recommended for prints. I have the SB-700 but that is it for now when it comes to extra lighting. I am going to a local store tomorrow to see what I need. Thank you.

Claudia!

I forgot to mention that they will be taken on location rather than inside. Does this make a difference? Thank you for the websites. Youtube and the internet are great sources for information and learning.

pedroj

Hi Claudia..All good advice that Jack has put forward...Auto focus constant [AFC] is some thing you may want to set your camera to, if your subject moves after you have set focus the camera will refocus...

Mike150

I'm not a pro, but if you know the location where you're going to take the photos, scout it out in advance to see what backgrounds you'll be dealing with. Nothing ruins a photo than some unrelated item in the background. Also, try and visit it the same general time of day so you can get the feeling of sun angles and such.

Claudia!

I took the photos today. Overall, it went really well. It was a very cloudy day. I scouted the location the day before but then again, I work on campus. What I have learned is that even though you have been to a place a million times, you look at it very different when it now becomes your future location for a shoot. I took everyone's advice. It worked well. I was unable to get a soft box YET. I used a reflector to help out with the lighting. As for AFC, I have recently begun using it. I was using Manual focus more often than now. Instead I use AFC more often now. Thank you everyone for the advice. Now let's hope they print very well.