Battery grip for Nikon D7000

sourab89

I am looking for Battery grip for D7000. please help me out in this.
Should I go for original Nikon battery grip or 3rd party battery grip is also good for Nikon D7000. Please help me out....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I got a third party from "linkdelight.com" and am happy with it. I don't use it often as with the grip the camera won't fit comfortably in my bag, but when I do, it works without a glitch. Will it last??? I can buy almost 8 of them for the price of the original Nikon one… There is always a risk when we buy third party stuff, but it's our money so to each it's own.

sourab89

I have heard from some people that using 3rd party battery sometimes hamper the camera, so people say to buy the original nikon battery as the risk is very high ! :(
Is this true or just a "luck factor" included in this statement ?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have heard from some people that using 3rd party battery sometimes hamper the camera, so people say to buy the original nikon battery as the risk is very high ! :(
Is this true or just a "luck factor" included in this statement ?

I think they were talking about third party BATTERY and not grip. I only use my third party grip with AA batteries and if I was to buy another battery I would get a Nikon.

Obir

I've had my 3rd party grip (Neewer) for about a year and have never had any problems. I bought one earlier by a different brand and it made the camera act weird. My current one works flawlessly.
I rarely use it with batteries on it, but when I do I use AA's.
It never comes of except when recharging the EN-EL15. I just can't hold the camera comfortably without it:)

sourab89

I've had my 3rd party grip (Neewer) for about a year and have never had any problems. I bought one earlier by a different brand and it made the camera act weird. My current one works flawlessly.
I rarely use it with batteries on it, but when I do I use AA's.
It never comes of except when recharging the EN-EL15. I just can't hold the camera comfortably without it:)

ok... Can you share what impact did the bad battery grip had on the camera ? which brand battery grip was it ?

Obir

ok... Can you share what impact did the bad battery grip had on the camera ? which brand battery grip was it ?

I think the stamp on the box said "Meiky" or something like that. It's been a while:)
I remember not being able to change aperture or shutter speed with the camera's own dials, and the autofocus engaging by itself. It was like the camera went crazy. It was obvious that there was something wrong with the grip because the on/off button just didn't turn right.
The second one I got though has served me well for a while.
For what it is, and for my use, I just can't justify spending that much money for a Nikon grip. Others may disagree though.
Whatever brand you get, you'll just love the way the camera fits on your hand, specially on vertical shots. I know I do:)

roulitick

I also purchased a "Meike" aftermarket grip. So far it works great. The only problem I can see is it is rather cheaply made. The little butterfly latch broke off immediately, but I just use my fingernail to open it (works just as well).. For my use I seldom need the extra battery back-up but mainly like it for the feel and camera handling and balance. For $39.95 vs $229.00...Can't beat it! If it fails ..buy another.

sourab89

I think the stamp on the box said "Meiky" or something like that. It's been a while:)
I remember not being able to change aperture or shutter speed with the camera's own dials, and the autofocus engaging by itself. It was like the camera went crazy. It was obvious that there was something wrong with the grip because the on/off button just didn't turn right.
The second one I got though has served me well for a while.
For what it is, and for my use, I just can't justify spending that much money for a Nikon grip. Others may disagree though.
Whatever brand you get, you'll just love the way the camera fits on your hand, specially on vertical shots. I know I do:)

I also purchased a "Meike" aftermarket grip. So far it works great. The only problem I can see is it is rather cheaply made. The little butterfly latch broke off immediately, but I just use my fingernail to open it (works just as well).. For my use I seldom need the extra battery back-up but mainly like it for the feel and camera handling and balance. For $39.95 vs $229.00...Can't beat it! If it fails ..buy another.

thank you both of you for the reviews and suggestions. this is definitely helping and increasing my confidence on third party battery grip. So, i feel that it will hamper the camera to a great deal. While buying I can always check the settings and functioning of the buttons.
Yeah, definitely there is a huge difference in the battery grips of Nikon and third parties.

westmill

Banned
I also bought one of these for a Pentax K5 with two batterys included. To be honnest its faultless and feels and looks
perfect on the K5. The only thing could be better, is the battery compartment release latch. Not realy a problem though.
Although all the buttons work OK I never use them even when I opperate the camera veticaly. I have the propper Nikon grip on the D300 and I use that the same way. The meike is dubbed as weatherproof too. Ive got so used to using
cameras with a grip, I just hate a camera without one now. Unless its a D3s of course lol
All in all..... highly recomended !

efcd43c00ded87d6984c7a59ac67e766.jpg
The only D7000 grip you will have problems with is the Meike as the internal compartment is not the same shape as a Nikon or other 3rd party grips. And then you will only have a problem if you try to fit a Lithium ion 15A pac or 3600 or 4200 mAh as it wont go in ...stick with the $40 3 rd party but not Meike

Last edited:

sourab89

I also bought one of these for a Pentax K5 with two batterys included. To be honnest its faultless and feels and looks
perfect on the K5. The only thing could be better, is the battery compartment release latch. Not realy a problem though.
Although all the buttons work OK I never use them even when I opperate the camera veticaly. I have the propper Nikon grip on the D300 and I use that the same way. The meike is dubbed as weatherproof too. Ive got so used to using
cameras with a grip, I just hate a camera without one now. Unless its a D3s of course lol
All in all..... highly recomended !

Thanks westmill, if someone can use a 3rd party grip on a D300 then why should i have any problem using it on my D7000 :)

The only D7000 grip you will have problems with is the Meike as the internal compartment is not the same shape as a Nikon or other 3rd party grips. And then you will only have a problem if you try to fit a Lithium ion 15A pac or 3600 or 4200 mAh as it wont go in ...stick with the $40 3 rd party but not Meike

Thank you ... for the meantime, i am buying the grip only for the vertical shots and better camera hold. I dont have much intention to increase the battery. So everything looks good ! :)

shibang

I'm also after a battery grip and can't justify paying the Nikon price so I was also thinking about one of the Neewer grips.

Is anybody using a third party grip with a Blackrapid strap?

I'm concerned that it won't be strong enough and that would be my only justification to pay for a MB-D11

Regards

Obir

I'm also after a battery grip and can't justify paying the Nikon price so I was also thinking about one of the Neewer grips.

I'm concerned that it won't be strong enough and that would be my only justification to pay for a MB-D11

Regards

That would concern me for sure.
The 3rd party grips are all plastic as far as I know but the Nikon has metal innards. I just wouldn't trust putting all the weight of my camera, lens and flash on a cheaply made grip...but that's just me:)

westmill

Banned

Regards
I wouldnt worry ! They are actualy extremely well built and far stronger than you would expect.
It feels as rigid as the original. I have a hand grip on one of them too. The grip fits the camera lug and screws into the tripod bush below
the grip. You could tow a car with it lol. Ive also used it on a tripod with the 80-200 F2.8 attached. There is no play !!!!
I bought another for the Fuji S5pro too. Ive never had a problem. I recon the tripod would break before the grip did lol :)

oh dear you lot do make a fuss about a $40 item ..the bush in the bottom of the cheap grips is attached to a metal plate that runs the whole length of the battery compartment and is screwed about 8 times ..when you attach anything to the base of a camera that you dont want to move,tripod plate etc put some silicone bathroom sealer under it ( smells of vinegar preferably black ) and that will stop it moving and will still come off without a mark..even if the screw comes out it will still hold fast.

Last edited:
you can see the metal plate and different compartment on the Mieke in the photo attached

Attachments

• efcd43c00ded87d6984c7a59ac67e766.jpg
    efcd43c00ded87d6984c7a59ac67e766.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 955

verywellnoel

Photix has a line of Class A imitation of the MDB 11; I bought the original though but I did have some problems in which I could not use the aperture and shutter dials, and at times it would indicate a low battery even if its fully charge. I had it warrantied though.

Insulin

I bought a Phottix from Amazon which works like a charm. Camera acted up a bit before I realized that I should use 6 AA and not only 4 (2 of them are underneath). Not as smart as I think. =D