50mm 1.4D lens or 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G

d131979

Hello Everyone,
I recently Purchased a D90 with 35mm 1.8G lens. Now I want to purchase another lens, but I am confused
between these two lens. With my budget I can buy only one lens among these two.
Please give your opinion, which lens do you think its worth.
Thanking you
Regards
Deepak

fotojack

And which two lenses are you considering? You didn't mention them. You said the D90 came with the 35 1.8G, so which other lens did you want to consider?

Sambr

I would go for the 18-105 the 35 will do you nicely for low light the 18-105 will give you range and versatility.

pedroj

Hello Everyone,
I recently Purchased a D90 with 35mm 1.8G lens. Now I want to purchase another lens, but I am confused
between these two lens. With my budget I can buy only one lens among these two.
Please give your opinion, which lens do you think its worth.
Thanking you
Regards
Deepak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is it you like to shoot if landscape the zoom will be better if portrait I think the prime is the one...

Soulphotography

For portraits: 50mm 1.8d would be fine, a lot cheaper too. The 1.4 is nice, but for me, I couldn't see a huge advantage to make the jump in price necessary.
Landscapes and general shooting I would suggest the zoom, although I personally use my 50mm for most things anyways.

miknoypinoy

they are in the title of the post

lol. I missed it too. was reading the thread and forgot the title. more info on what you like to shoot would help as mentioned. and the other suggestions are pretty spot on too. if all I had was the 35 then id op for the 18-105 also. very versatile.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

d131979

I like to shoot Portraits, Street photography and Documentary photography only, can you please suggest me the lens relating to these three genre. Occasionally I might shoot weddings also.
I really like 50mm 1.4D lens as its a fast lens. I am a full time employee and most of the time I get to shoot in the evening.
But I am not 100% confident whether I have made a right decision about going for a 50mm 1.4D, That's the reason I am confused between 18-105 and 50mm 1.4 D.
Regards
Deepak

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I'd use the 35 for the street and photo journalism stuff maybe even some architecture stuff...

I'd use the 18-105 for portraits...the thing about the 18-105 is you're able to go wider than your 35 and longer than a 50...

Plus this is just me but I don't like 50mm on a crop body...not wide enough..not long enough...for anything in my book...

d131979

Thanks Jeff, I finally made-up my mind, I will go for 18-105, and then If I still want a 50mm I will go for a 50mm 1.8D.

Last edited: