Sigma lens

Rick M

I'd look the specific lens up on a retail site and see what the description says for the nikon mount version. It will need to have an internal focusing motor in the lens to auto-focus on the D3100.

rbrownphoto

Hello, I am a Technical Rep for Sigma. I checked our compatibility charts for the D3100 and the lens would be fully compatible. If you would like a 70-300 Sigma lens, I would suggest the newest version. There are three versions of the newest lens. The least expensive is the basic DG lens. This will run $169 at B&H. The next level is this lens with the APO designation. The APO stands for Apochromatic and has optical enhancements to reduce chromatic aberrations. This will give a higher level of image quality. This price would be $239. The highest level is the DG OS lens. This lens includes the Optical Stabilization resulting in sharper images as well as the SLD glass that is a higher reduction of chromatic aberration. This price would be $359. All three are going to be the fastest AF and the highest optical quality yet! If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]

Why do you want a 70 -200 to carry about? by the time you get it on the shot has gone get an 18-200 or 270 VR and ditch the tripod as well .. you can always tell an amateur by the lens cap still in place and a long strap around the neck ( good for thief to grab and great for catching on things and pulling the camera out your hand) by the time you got the lens cap off and put your hand on the grip its all over .....

viscountdriver

Well I am an amateur. I've never left the lens cap on but the other day I motored for twenty minutes to photo some boats and the memory card was not in the camera.