Does the d5100 turn off automatically?

Mediaman09

Just trying to get through some basics..
  1. If I forget to turn the camera off, does it power off automatically?
  2. Other than the bars on the LCD, is there a way to tell the the percentage charged on the battery? That is, a number?
  3. When I keep the LCD door closed, is the screen still on?
  4. I read the manual re the AE-L/AF-L switch but I'm not getting it. Is there a tutorial somewhere on this.. At first I thought this was to lock in on the part of the picture you want in focus ....but isn't that what auto focus does.??
  5. At first there seemed be a long delay in taking a picture until I realized it was the auto focus, and that i should pressing half way down first..Turning auto focus off altogether is even better. But is there a trick to speed up the auto focussing ?
  6. I notice there is also a VR switch on my lens I assume its there for a reason. Under what conditions can I leave it off? Does keeping it off reduce any delays?

pedroj

Re: Basic new user questions

Just trying to get through some basics..
  1. If I forget to turn the camera off, does it power off automatically?
  2. Other than the bars on the LCD, is there a way to tell the the percentage charged on the battery? That is, a number?
  3. When I keep the LCD door closed, is the screen still on?
  4. I read the manual re the AE-L/AF-L switch but I'm not getting it. Is there a tutorial somewhere on this.. At first I thought this was to lock in on the part of the picture you want in focus ....but isn't that what auto focus does.??
  5. At first there seemed be a long delay in taking a picture until I realized it was the auto focus, and that i should pressing half way down first..Turning auto focus off altogether is even better. But is there a trick to speed up the auto focussing ?
  6. I notice there is also a VR switch on my lens I assume its there for a reason. Under what conditions can I leave it off? Does keeping it off reduce any delays?

I'm sure all this stuff is in your manual...READ YOUR MANUAL

lee786

1 yes goes into standby
2 don't think so based on my d3100 anyway
3 no I doubt it the battery wouldn't last long.
4 youtube has loads of helpful videos
5 its the lens that focus some lenses are faster than others.
6 vibration reduction Nikon | Technology | VR (Vibration-Reduction)

as said most of this is in the manual on the CD

AC016

Well, as pointed out, there is always the manual - i am always refering to mine. The vr is a great feature. I had a none vr lens with my old 3000 and never really had any issues with the pics i took-i got very steady hands. Though, i have vr on my 200mm for my plane spotting. I always have it on because many times my stance while shooting is not well balanced. So, all u can do,is experiment with it off and see what results you get and kind of figure out youself if you always need it on. Though i highly doubt that you will notice a change in speed with it off.