Looking for a good point & shoot

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I need something to put in my pocket on occasion. I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money; about $200 new or used. I think I rather get something used that is fairly good. I've been looking at the P8200, P310, and P7000. Recommendations?

Eye-level

Banned
Rick was asking about this the other day... http://nikonites.com/coolpix-sxxxx/4876-looking-point-shoot-compact-camera-what-should-i-get.html

The P310 looks real good to me as far as Nikon goes...I still think the 1 system has huge merits mainly the capability to still use F mount lenses but it is pricey...

P&S wise I have always used certain ancient Cybershot models like the DSC S 70/90 series and you can get them dirt cheap on flea bay and they are ok...

With all that being said you can buy an Olympus EP1 for peanuts now...a little money for an adapter and voila! you can use F mount lenses on it too...and the Olympus is probably the best bang for the buck "used" although the F mount adapters are kind of pricey I think...at least the good one...I may be wrong about that though...

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I picked up a refurbed Olympus E-PL1 with the kit 14-42 lens a couple months ago from Cameta on sale for $199. Pretty decent for the price.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Rick was asking about this the other day... http://nikonites.com/coolpix-sxxxx/4876-looking-point-shoot-compact-camera-what-should-i-get.html

The P310 looks real good to me as far as Nikon goes...I still think the 1 system has huge merits mainly the capability to still use F mount lenses but it is pricey...

P&S wise I have always used certain ancient Cybershot models like the DSC S 70/90 series and you can get them dirt cheap on flea bay and they are ok...

With all that being said you can buy an Olympus EP1 for peanuts now...a little money for an adapter and voila! you can use F mount lenses on it too...and the Olympus is probably the best bang for the buck "used" although the F mount adapters are kind of pricey I think...at least the good one...I may be wrong about that though...

Thanks. I was actually just going through that thread. I don't really even need something that I can change the lens on, because the way I figure, if I want to bring lenses, I'll just bring the dslr.

I'm actually looking at the P300 now, since it's a little older and cheaper.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I picked up a refurbed Olympus E-PL1 with the kit 14-42 lens a couple months ago from Cameta on sale for $199. Pretty decent for the price.

Funny, I literally just saw that Cameta has refurbished P300's for pretty cheap.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yeah! I was thinking the P7000 would be good, but it's almost 2" thick, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a more compact camera. The P300 is nice and slim.

I also looked at the Canon s95, but I honestly don't care if I can shoot RAW with a P&S, and it's around $150 more.

The Olympus XZ-1 also seems like a good option too, but it's at least $100 more everywhere I look.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
John:

I bought my wife a S95 to take on our honeymoon last year. She uses it in Auto but the images are stellar. If I were to purchase one pocket camera today, it would be the S95 or S100.

She took this image in Córdoba, Spain which I was blown away with:

original.jpg