New 28mm F1.8 Due this month

westmill

Banned
Ive had a news update from Nikon. The most intresting is the introduction of the
28mm F1.8 G lens. Its looking good and very prommising.
Its an FX lens too. They say it produces beautifuly smoothe bokeh.... Nice !
I like the idea of using this as a standard on DX though. It will act as a 42mm F1.8 on DX.
Should be a great street lens. One for my wish list ;)
PS... Its weather sealed woop woop !!!!! :p

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I've heard from another site that all of the new G lenses are being designed around the big megapixel sensors...looks like Nikon is changing their game...28 on dx probably my favorite focal length and I'm with you Westmill it's going to make an absolutely fantastic lens for snap shooting/street photography etc...

westmill

Banned
I've heard from another site that all of the new G lenses are being designed around the big megapixel sensors...looks like Nikon is changing their game...28 on dx probably my favorite focal length and I'm with you Westmill it's going to make an absolutely fantastic lens for snap shooting/street photography etc...
Well so far the new G lenses have proved there worth. They are taking this one seriously if they have added weather protection. Its a lens thats been sadly missing in the DX line up. Its got my juices flowing lol

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've pre-ordered mine when it was announced but we all know with Nikon about the short supply. It seems that the norm is to buy now and wait a little much longer. This is also my ideal focal length.

westmill

Banned
It seems the rest of the world gets releases before us in the UK lol. Although, Ive had a lot of mail from Nikon
that Ive not opened. Serves me right :D This lens will come in handy for weddings too.
They have given a release date for the end of the month for the UK. I would think its the same all over.
I couldnt even find a rec retail price over here yet. It doesnt look like its going be over priced though.
Its the best news Ive seen for ages :eek:

Eye-level

Banned
I haven't been a photographer for long enough or deep enough to know a lot of these things nor have I shot photos at a whole bunch of weddings but a great internet photographer friend of mine has always told me a fast fifty is an absolute must for wedding photography...so now here we are a super fast 28 that is standard on a DX...I bet they are going to sell a whole slew of these babies...you all know how I am queer about the old pre AI, AI, and AIS lenses...they are the only ones I'll use...I will probably buy this one... :)

westmill

Banned
I haven't been a photographer for long enough or deep enough to know a lot of these things nor have I shot photos at a whole bunch of weddings but a great internet photographer friend of mine has always told me a fast fifty is an absolute must for wedding photography...so now here we are a super fast 28 that is standard on a DX...I bet they are going to sell a whole slew of these babies...you all know how I am queer about the old pre AI, AI, and AIS lenses...they are the only ones I'll use...I will probably buy this one... :)
This lens makes a serious differance for me. Its already flickering my mind to going back to full prime.
This lens coupled with a fast 60mm would cover 90% of my work :rolleyes:

Eye-level

Banned
I know zooms are cool and all but man a 2 or 3 prime set up with maybe an extra 300mm is a force to be reckoned with I'm telling you...

westmill

Banned
Well Ive got the wide angle end covered with a zoom and Ive got my horsracing covered with a couple of zooms.
I dont need or use anything over 200mm, which is 300mm on DX anyway. Ive got a 80-200 2.8 and a 70-210 4-5.6 D
as a go everywhere lens. Im thinking this 28 along with the new tamron 60mm F2 mmmmmmmmm
Thats 42mm and 90mm fast first class optics. Ive just gotta do it lol :D

westmill

Banned
Nikon 28mm f1.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Nikon 85mm f1.8G

That's all you need.
No.... thats all you need if you use full frame :D and yes :D thats exactly what i mean, in a way.
The 28mm is covered with 18mm but the other two have just been missing.
Now we have a genuine valid option for DX at last. 42mm and 90mm is as good. Ive a feeling Nikon has a plan going on though.
Im expecting them to produce a 17 or 18mm and maybe a 55 or 60mm F1.8 or F2 G lenses before long to propperly cater for DX.
You are using the D700 so you must be realy happy lol You cant get much more perfect than a D700 and those 3 lenses.
I prefer using APSC though. I just want what you have basicly.... in APSC form. I think its a shame I have to look at tamron for
the 60mm though. At least its there though as an option for DX.