outdoor portraits

scootp

hey! im trying to set up this camera. my father gave me this d200 and i just cant get my pics as sharp looking as i prefer. can someone please share with me best setting for outdoor natural light pics. thanks

westmill

Banned
Well to start, whatever lens you use will perform at its best closed down a couple of stops.
then use 200 ISO for detail. The most common cause of unsharp pics is simply shutter speed not being fast enough.
a genral rule of thumb is to use a shutter speed no slower than the focal lengh you are using. IE... 50mm = 60th sec
except remember on apsc.. that 50 = 75mm so 125th would be mor apropiate.
Have fun:D

pedroj

Welcome...I find if you put your subjects in the shade of a tree Aperture F8...Shutter 1/125 use the on board flash if you dont have an SB600 or better...You can dial the power of the flash up or down...If the images are to dark open the aperture F7.1 to F5.6 if the images are to bright a little faster shutter speed...Camera in manual mode...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Show us some examples of what you mean. Sometimes it could be shutter speeds too low or just lack of post production sharpening. If you shoot raw and don't sharpen your shots, they'll look a little dull for sure. Tell us what jpeg settings you are using in the camera menu. Have you read the little manual…?