So, 24mpx sensors..will we complain?

eurotrash

So now that we have 24mxp sensors, will we be complaining for awhile, then suddenly realize that 24mpx isn't all that bad?
It seems like we were just saying, "1TB hard drives? We don't need that much capacity!!"
I kind of feel like this will be the same way.
I plan on picking up one of the new D7000's when they release, regardless of the sensor, but secretly hoping that it does have the 24mpx one inside (a better processor would be a bonus too)
Thoughts?

pedroj

So now that we have 24mxp sensors, will we be complaining for awhile, then suddenly realize that 24mpx isn't all that bad?
It seems like we were just saying, "1TB hard drives? We don't need that much capacity!!"
I kind of feel like this will be the same way.
I plan on picking up one of the new D7000's when they release, regardless of the sensor, but secretly hoping that it does have the 24mpx one inside (a better processor would be a bonus too)
Thoughts?[/QUOTe
What can u do with 24 that you can't with 12/16...For the amateur and semi pro I don't see MPs as all that important unless you are into P***ing competitions...They give some of the so called experts in the camera stores something to spruke about and relieve you of your hard earned...Will you take better pictures? Don't think so...

Just my opinion

eurotrash

Well, yea, I know. I just want the latest and greatest tech if I'm going to buy a camera you know?
I understand gear doesn't make photos. Just trying to gauge how the end game 5 years from now will work out

On a related note I'm debating weather or not to drop 1,000 now on a USED D7000 (or trade my 5100 for ~500 and take a 400 dollar hit on the used one) or wait and spend ~1,300 on a brand spanking NEW one only months away presumably.

pedroj

Well, yea, I know. I just want the latest and greatest tech if I'm going to buy a camera you know?
I understand gear doesn't make photos. Just trying to gauge how the end game 5 years from now will work out

On a related note I'm debating weather or not to drop 1,000 now on a USED D7000 (or trade my 5100 for ~500 and take a 400 dollar hit on the used one) or wait and spend ~1,300 on a brand spanking NEW one only months away presumably.

Your D5100 will do most things a D7000 will...If I were you this is what I would do...Keep the camera I have and use it till the upgrade on the D7000 happens then after a period if the D7000s has proved that it doesn't have gremlins.. Sell the D5100 [it wont reduce in price much] and buy what you want...you may even change your mind and go for the D300s replacement or full frame....If the latter is probable you should buy lens that suit...[FX lens]

Cheers Alan

eurotrash

Holy mother of crap, did you catch that last bit where they estimated by years end there will be a 10Gigapixel Colour version? I'm in IT and work closely with the US Government and their agencies. I knew this type of thing exists somewhere, somehow, but just not the depth of how detailed these cameras have really gotten. That's astonishing.

westmill

Banned
The only good thing in reality is that each generation of sensor usualy has better high ISO performance. Ive yet to see a lens reach the resolution limits of a 12 milion pixel camera. So I couldnt care less about pixels anymore. I have 12 and 16 milion pixel cameras. Its easy to see the differance when viewd at 100% but who but pixel peepers does that lol. I see more pixels as a draw back. You simply get bigger files. For me and my work high ISO performance is a godsend though. If the price I pay is a higher pixel count then its a price worth paying. The pixels themselves are irelevent. :)

eurotrash

In the article it states that the camera takes about 18 seconds to record just One image. Imagine haveing a long exposure every shot lol.. I wonder how bit THOSE files are..

Carolina Photo Guy

In the article it states that the camera takes about 18 seconds to record just One image. Imagine haveing a long exposure every shot lol.. I wonder how bit THOSE files are..

The next place those sensors will be is in orbit as an adjunct to the next gen Hubble. Detail is EVERYTHING to an astronomer. :)

But I could be wrong!

westmill

Banned
I think its likely that sensors as we know them will be replaced altogether with something totaly new at some point in the future lol Just like the CD replaced records etc.... who would have thought lol

westmill

Banned
westmill,

Yeah I totally agree with you, and it's not that far away.
Devices like the one in this post and http://mashable.com/2012/03/01/lytro-camera-gallery/ this one are interesting though.
Haha Yes.... Ive actualy seen that already. A good example of new tech ! We will end up with a camera resembling an I pod. No lenses need... just press the button to capture all the information and grab your pic from the info on PC lol A sad day indeed. :)