Airborne???

Stangman98

Shot from last weekend

DSC_2513.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
yep! at that point they're spending $10k just to go another 10th of a second faster. I bet they broke a lot of transmissions, axels and rear ends up to that point. Not to mention detonating a couple engines.

I can't imagine spooling a turbo that large, that fast, to create that much instant power. But for some reason I can understand a 5000hp nitro methane funny car doing a 1/4 in 4 seconds :)

Carolina Photo Guy

yep! at that point they're spending $10k just to go another 10th of a second faster. I bet they broke a lot of transmissions, axels and rear ends up to that point. Not to mention detonating a couple engines.

I can't imagine spooling a turbo that large, that fast, to create that much instant power. But for some reason I can understand a 5000hp nitro methane funny car doing a 1/4 in 4 seconds :)

The secret to going the fastest is not cubic inches, it cubic DOLLARS! :)

Eye-level

Banned
A showstopper wheel stand like that in the picture usually results in major suspension and chassis damage not to mention a lot of bodywork too.

The 1/8 mile saves the racer a ton of money because they don't break parts so bad...

As an upholstery guy I get to deal with a lot of racers and muscle car guys...you wouldn't believe some of the cars from the real street class I have worked on...Stangs that run sub 8 second quarter times...Chevelles that they drive to the track and drive home after making several 9 second 1/4 mile passes...it some amazing machinery.

I'll take a few pics when it gets here but monday I have a Thunderbolt coming to the shop for a bow and clip headliner...it is now a skinny block that turns 10's naturally aspirated with no power adders!

Carolina Photo Guy

I'll take a few pics when it gets here but monday I have a Thunderbolt coming to the shop for a bow and clip headliner...it is now a skinny block that turns 10's naturally aspirated with no power adders!
You have a '64 Ford THUNDERBOLT coming to visit?????
I am sooooo jealous!!!

Does this one have the 427 side oiler with the top loader 4 speed???

Tell me EVERYTHING!!! :)

Eye-level

Banned
It is a clone Pete...no Cobra fat block...

Actually a 63 coupe (a pretty damn rare model in and of itself BTW) and they did make one or two 63 Tbolts I think...the Thunderbolt was a post car needed the chassis stability for the fat bullet...the car has fiberglass fenders and hood with the famous weird shaped scoop...306 engine that is crazy...I can't remember but I think it is an automatic...car was orginally that weird red that they did Tbolts in but now it is white the guy tells me he wishes he would have left it factory red...the seats have been reupholstered long ago...Weld wheels and drag radials she is very very streetable and wickedly fast just like a real one...she is intact everything is there and in great condition...it is a very solid rust free and never wrecked Oklahoma two owner car!

Carolina Photo Guy

It is a clone Pete...no Cobra fat block...

Actually a 63 coupe (a pretty damn rare model in and of itself BTW) and they did make one or two 63 Tbolts I think...the Thunderbolt was a post car needed the chassis stability for the fat bullet...the car has fiberglass fenders and hood with the famous weird shaped scoop...306 engine that is crazy...I can't remember but I think it is an automatic...car was orginally that weird red that they did Tbolts in but now it is white the guy tells me he wishes he would have left it factory red...the seats have been reupholstered long ago...Weld wheels and drag radials she is very very streetable and wickedly fast just like a real one...she is intact everything is there and in great condition...it is a very solid rust free and never wrecked Oklahoma two owner car!

The weird shaped hood scoop is called a teardrop scoop, so named because of the tears shed trying to keep up with the T-Bolt!

I firmly believe that it was the ThunderBolt, and NOT the AC Cobra that was the real impetus behind the stripped down super 'Vette!

But I could be wrong! :)

Eye-level

Banned
Wait till you see the pictures sir...probably will make for an awesome hdr... :)

The first big block Ford I ever drove was a 429 Cobra Jet from a Torino that was stuffed in a 54 F100 Ford pickup with a C6 transmission I was 15 and it belonged to my dad...it would lay rubber all the way down the quartermile and back... :)