biggest full moon

Skywatchers take note: The biggest full moon of the year is due to arrive this weekend.

The moon will officially become full Saturday (May 5) at 11:35 p.m. EDT. And because this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's biggest.
The moon will swing in 221,802 miles (356,955 kilometers) from our planet, offering skywatchers a spectacular view of an extra-big, extra-bright moon, nicknamed a supermoon.
And not only does the moon's perigee coincide with full moon this month, but this perigee will be the nearest to Earth of any this year, as the distance of the moon's close approach varies by about 3 percent, according to meteorologist Joe Rao, SPACE.com's skywatching columnist. This happens because the moon's orbit is not perfectly circular.

westmill

Banned
Thanks Tracsoft, thats realy intresting. I shall have to have a look now.
With luck, the cloud cover will move. Right now, I doubt I could see it if It was 50 miles away lol :)

Philnz

Skywatchers take note: The biggest full moon of the year is due to arrive this weekend.

The moon will officially become full Saturday (May 5) at 11:35 p.m. EDT. And because this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's biggest.
The moon will swing in 221,802 miles (356,955 kilometers) from our planet, offering skywatchers a spectacular view of an extra-big, extra-bright moon, nicknamed a supermoon.
And not only does the moon's perigee coincide with full moon this month, but this perigee will be the nearest to Earth of any this year, as the distance of the moon's close approach varies by about 3 percent, according to meteorologist Joe Rao, SPACE.com's skywatching columnist. This happens because the moon's orbit is not perfectly circular.
Dam. I was trying to keep this to myself and surprise everypone with some great moon shots. We in Zealand have to wait till 3.20pm so I guess all the good shots will be gone by then. But to make up for it we do get the sun first.

Philnz

Not yet full
DSC_2128.JPG
Ok I'll get in first one way or another. Taken at 1.25 AM last night with eyes still closed, and in the nude. Temp one degrees Centigrade so was not going to hang around to long. (no pun intended) Model NIKON D5100
Shutter Speed 1/4 s
F-Number f/5.6
ISO ISO 800
Exposure Bias Value 0.00 eV
Metering Mode Pattern
Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 200 mm
White Balance Auto white balance
Date/Time Original 3/05/2012 1:25:06 a.m.

Last edited: