Birding

Bukitimah

Shooting wild life is still a very new subject to me. I am struggling when subject is moving, at a distance or under low light. I saw many fantastic images by others and how I wish I can achieve that one day. This is a recent shot I took in one of our nature park. Subject is 200 meters away.

My setting is f13, ISO 800 and 1/400 sec. Please advise how can I do this better.

SungeiBuloh-1.jpg

pedroj

To isolate your subject you have to open your aperture up [smaller the number the larger the aperture]...F13 is far to small for what you are trying to achieve...A tripod/monopod can be a help to reduce camera shake and in the AF menu in camera set it to AF-C with this setting the camera will refocus continuously if your subject or camera moves....

Hope this is of help to you...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I would agree also. The image at ISO 800 looks grainy to me (noise). f8 would have been ok to help lower the ISO a bit. Nice try though. Just keep on practicing and soon you'll have more keepers.

Eye-level

Banned
All of it wise advice but I would also ask you to take a look at the softness of the image and the seemingly fragility of the bird...the reflection is magnificent!!! It is a great snap in my book...it has...soul...

You know what really sets it off???

The watermark...

This picture deserves a showstopper award...

:)

Last edited:

pedroj

You are right it's not sharp....Something has MOVED either you or the subject...You have a focal length of 300m and shutter speed of 1/200 which should be greater then your lens length...
If your subject is moving as well, your going to have blurry images...Do you have the auto focus set to Auto Focus Constant if not try that...

fotojack

When you shoot anything that moves, set your camera to Shutter Priority, and at least 1/500th. At least! In broad daylight, keep your ISO at 100. There is no need to pump the ISO up to anything higher in daylight.