Protecting D5100 when on the move ( cases, bags)

Mediaman09

I am not used to such a large bofy and long lense. Off to a cruise shortly (hence timing of the purchase) and want to think ahead re bags/cases
88083222-250x250-0-0_Nikon+Nikon+D5000+Usa+W+Nikon+18+200mm+Vr+20+Piece.jpg

sightseeing mode - here I am looking for something light, just for protection while walking between shots, at the restaturant..but easy enough to access when needed. Does something like this expandable) make sense? :Bag over shoulder; camera around neck. Would also use this poolside (guarding it with my life).

case1.jpg
transport/travel mode - when traveliing at the airprort I have a max of one carry-on and one piece of luggage. I use a large mans over the shoulder pouch for the carry-on ( for ipad, samll cameras, papers etc). I guess I can still do that if I remove the lens. Curious what other use while travelling..

case2.jpg

Last edited:

Lscha

Mediaman09

I have a different bag which I also like very much Case Logic SLRC-206 SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack SLRC-206 B&H it seems to be a little easier to access the camera when you need to in a quick second.

Thanks.

Does this model allow the camera to be stored with a long zoom connected?...or only seperated. The pic kindda suggests it would only hold a smller lens, but a longer zoom would need to be stored seperately.

Also, any over-the-shoulder straps, or back-pack only?

IMG_164645.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I was actually between the Lowepro and the Case Logic. The Lowepro won because of the easy of being able to take the camera out of the bag without taking it off of your left shoulder. I also liked the Lowepro because you could easily store other things in the top.

westmill

Banned
The lowepro sling shots seem very good. They work like a backback, so great for long hauls, and they just swivel to
the front when access required. Great Idea ! Backpacks are best by far but when you need to use your camera
they are a pain, since you have to take them off. The sling shots solve this by swivling to the front.
Ive not got one, but its my next bag for sure :)

Rick M

I have a backpack for hauling everything. When I want to go light I have the Think Tank V10 2.0 holster bag. It is a holster bag for use with their belt system (which is awesome) also comes with detachable shoulder strap. The belt system is great for hands free carrying insead of a backpack/slingbag. The bag is form fitting to the camera and lens attached, it also expands for a longer lens.

Eye-level

Banned
I still don't have a bag...I either have them (cameras) slung over the shoulders bandolier style...or one on a sling and the other wrapped up in a tshirt...

I'm unconventional...lol

westmill

Banned
I still don't have a bag...I either have them (cameras) slung over the shoulders bandolier style...or one on a sling and the other wrapped up in a tshirt...

I'm unconventional...lol
Well no one can argue you dont have the lightest option :D

Instant availability too lol. Except maybe the one wrapped up in a shirt.
Sods law dictates, the one you have wrapped is the one you need lol

Phillydog1958

If you're more than likely going to get more lenses in the future, you should think about carrying them around as well.

I have this bag, and love it: Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Camera/Laptop Backpack: Camera & Photo

It's perfect for travel and you can fit a laptop in it too.

Yep! This is the bag I use for airport travel or whenever I want to carry ALL of my gear, including my iPad or Macbook Air. It's my heavy-duty, carry-all bag. I also have a smaller Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW for everyday, walk-around use. I usually use it to carry my camera with a lens attached and an extra lens and a few odds and ends. Basically, I have only 2 bags and they're both Lowepros. In my opinion, Lowepro makes a great bag, without charging an arm and leg. I love the fact that my Lowepro bags allow for quick access to my camera, without having to completely remove them from my shoulder.

Last edited:

Mediaman09

Loewpro defintely has a great product line-up.

For my grab-and-go bag, I was lookiing for a bag which was:
  • large enough to hold the 5100 wtih an attached 18-200 zoom
  • roomy enough to hold accessoires
  • ight enough to sightsee tour with all day
  • flexible enough to fit INSIDE my shoulder carry-on when travelling (for my non-photo life, ie ipad, magazines, travel docs, change, wallet etc
  • over-the-shoulder vs backpack
  • in stock so I can physically try it out with my gear and carry-on
Amazingly, I found the LoewPro NOVA 160 AW.

This meets the grab-and-go needs (at home or on vacation), and still allows me to travel comfortably without going nuts (still keeping my routine of one carry-on shoulder bag, one piece of rollable luggage on wheels)

I will eventualy also want an 'all gear' case, primarily for the house, but I have time for that.
18-2103-IMG1.jpeg 18-2103-IMG2.jpeg
19349.jpg

Last edited:

eurotrash

Call me crazy, when I'm sightseeing I just throw the camera in my trunk and go. I just strap it to my body and that's that, maybe shove a small prime in my pocket (or my girlfriends' purse lately, lol.) For longer excursions, I use the Sling Shot AW102 I think. I really like it, though feel like I'll outgrow it soon when I start buying nicer lenses. Comes with a rain fly as well, which attaches real quick to the bag so that's a plus. Never had to use it yet, so I can't fouch for the rain protection of it, but it should be able to withstand some light showers pretty easily.

These camera's are pretty hefty, I'm not one to baby my gear like it's going to fall apart if I look at it wrong. Lenses, well..That's another story.

fotojack

Yes, these cameras are pretty hefty, but they are still filled with fragile components inside, like the shutter and sensor. I don't baby my cameras, but I don't treat them rough either. I handle them like the fine precision instruments they are.
Take care of your gear and your gear will last a long time. Treat it like crap and you'll be wondering why it doesn't work some day. But hey....that's just me. :)

eurotrash

Haha! Travelling? You'll want a bag that's not limiting when getting to your gear and youll also want something lightweight. Can't recommend the lowepro sling bags enough when it comes down to this.

Patrick M

I have that Lowepro sling back 250 too. I take it everywhere ... It's about 8kg with the camera, 4 lenses, SB400, book, sunglasses and a sandwich.
Ease of access is superb in my opinion. I have hundreds of camera bags ... My wife thinks its a disease ... And this bag is by far the best for me.
Everybody has their favourite :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD