Winner Annoucement: "Backlighting" Challenge

ohkphoto

Snow White
The winner of the challenge is Axeman -- high score on technique.

axeman blue water.jpg

2nd place goes to Akretzman -- he used backlighting nicely to draw the viewer into the picture and set a mood.

barbed wired akretzman.jpg

3rd place is Kim20, also nice use of backlighting to set a tone.

kimweb.jpg

Congratulations!

RickSawThat

re: Winner Annoucement: "Backlighting" Challenge

Great images from all 3 winners. Very nice use of back lighting and all very different. Well done!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Great shots guys and gal. You deserved this reward.

akretzman

well i've been neglecting this site for a couple weeks...finals ya know...this is a nice surprise! thanks!

Kim20

Thanks everyone, and congrats to Akretzman and Axeman!

Last edited:

Patrick M

Amazing winning shot. Would be keen to hear from Rick how he set it up.

Well done everybody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AxeMan - Rick S.

Here is a shot of the set up from my 365
http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/4385-project-365-2012-axeman-29.html#post53735

I Duck taped a wine glass at an angle to a old tripod mount. Two white foam boards at a 90^ angle to each other. A 100 watt flood light pointed at the backboard. A "flag" on the flood light to keep light off the wine glass.

I idea was to light the back board and use the side board to bounce more light on to the left side of the shot.

Blue food coloring in water and start pour water in to the wine glass fast to get the splash effect of the water coming out and rapid fire at 4 frames per second. I tried other colors but liked blue the best.

Used Lightroom to take out the tungsten tone from the floodlight and turn it white.

This shot was inspired by this video but used materials I had at hand instead of doing it the way it is shown in the video.

Liquid Pour and Splash Photography Technique Using Continuous Light

Capture.JPG