AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR for the D5100??????

Army_Guy

Anyone have any thoughts on the suitability of the AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR for the D5100? I want to get into some indoor (of my son playing hockey) and outdoor (nature/landscape/son's soccer) telephoto shooting. From what I've gathered, this lens will allow me to do all that and can virtually replace my existing and low-end 18-55mm lens. It's expensive but i like its versatility and its ability to follow me if I upgrade cameras in the future. I am just getting into photography but see myself as being a lifelong enthusiast and will be taking a photography course at a local community college this summer to get better at it. I am not looking to becoming a professional - i just want to be somewhat good at it. I have a unique opportunity to buy this lens for a price approximately $350 less that what I see it being advertised for and was wondering if it is the way I should go? Help please!!

Army_Guy

DaveKoontz

Great choice of lens ... I'm shooting with a D700 and my primary lens is the 3.5--5.6 28-300 VR. The only slight issue is that it might be slightly slow to catch the action of a hockey game if you have
dim indoor lighting .. I usually shoot in manual mode for these types of shoots. Out of all of my lenses, this is the best investment I've ever made .. well worth the price. Good luck!

Sambr

The 28-300vr is one of my most used lens with my D700 & D3. I find the versatility overcomes any faults it might have. Great investment for me as well.

Last edited by a moderator: