Continuous shooting and auto focus

kanga2

I am shooting with an older nikon 80-200 ED 2.8. I am getting some hesitation in my continuous shooting. Has anyone else noticed a problem with the D700 and any lenses? I don't know if I should send this lens in to Nikon for repair or if it is worth it? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

DaveKoontz

Funny you should bring this issue up ... I had a similar, first time experience, with this issue yesterday when shooting the Ferrari Challenge at Infineon Raceway. These guys are hitting the straight aways at over
100mph so I attempt to capture some of the action by panning and shooting in full bursts. I was getting really irritated but found that, once again, I had not properly set the camera up properly ... I reset the dial to Ch and that seemed to take care of the problem. I'm using the AF-S 28-300mm VR and have no issues with it stalling. It never once entered my mind that this could have been a lens compatibility issue. I'll continue to keep up with this thread to see what other may have encountered and how they have resolved .. live and learn.

westmill

Banned
I cover horse racing and often use use the 80-200 F2.8 nikon.
I have no problems at all. Its a very capable lens and genraly very reliable.
it might be worth getting it serviced. Its often worth it. Ask them to calibrate it while they have it.

pedroj

Welcome to the forum..

Like Westmill I use my 80-200 F2.8 [D300] For surfing and motoX and dont have any problems with it...

Do you have your camera set to Auto Focus Continuous..

kanga2

Yes, I have it set correctly. I think it could be the lens and that it needs calibrating. I will send it back to Nikon when the racing season is over and hopefully it will not cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

Iansky

I have noticed this problem when using my older 300mm f4 IF ED AF lens especially when using it at airshows for aerial shots of planes - I will try it at CFH and see if that helps.

Appreciate the tip - it is a superb lens that I got for a very good price and the IQ of it is stellar - do not use / need it enough to justify spending on AF-S version.

Iansky

Well I followed the advice and tried the AF-C, set on CH on my older 300mm f4 AF ED and it does appear to work much better so thank you!

The first two are from a sequence with the wakeboarder travelling fast, coming at me from an oblique angle then going vertical as well.

take_off.jpg

inverted.jpg

This gent was travelling very fast in a tight turn but again the focus stayed with him.

tight_turn.jpg

I am now much happier and preparing to shoot aerial shots next weekend at the annual International Airshow (RIAT) in UK.

Iansky

ground to air

Well I tried the settings for the airshow and have to say I am very pleased with the results, even though I am using an old 300mm f4 IF ED lens it still achieved focus tracking and delivered the goods.

flight_9.jpg

flight_22.jpg

flight_21.jpg

flight_36.jpg