Photos taken with D3100

Kimberly Walker

Since getting into DSLR I have browsed the net looking for photos obtained with different cameras. Doesnt seem to be too much of that. Maybe we could have a sticky that people could post photos they were able to obtain using the D3100 and they could tell what equipment they used to get the particular shot? I know this helps me. I often wonder ...Do I need to get a different lens, or a different camera...so seeing a photo that may be close to what I wish to obtain, I can determine if I need anything new or to just hone my skills.

He are two I took recently. I used the 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD

settings were 1/800 f/6.3 at 270mm

DSC_1329.JPG

DSC_1324.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ZekeMenuar

I'll play. Two of my favorites.

D3100, 18-55mm, .6 ND filter and circular polarizer, 100 ISO.
DSC_2649resize.jpg

D3100 18-55mm DX VR AF-S .6 ND and .9 Grad ND 100 ISO
DSC_2692resize.jpg

Kimberly Walker

Here is an example of the Bokeh I was able to get with the Tamron. (270mm f/6.3 1/500 and I was standing about 20ft away from her, it was sunny mid day)

Jazzie_4 copy.jpg

Kimberly Walker

I keep thinking of getting a prime lens but every time I do I go take some photos and see that for me (A complete amateur) This lens is great. Since I got it I havent even taken it off to use my other lens.

Your in Oregon? I am headed there after the Alaskan Cruise (Seaside, Oregon to be exact)

That's a pretty good image.
I've shied away from lenses that go from 18 to 200 and beyond. Maybe I'll need to rethink my position.

ZekeMenuar

I keep thinking of getting a prime lens but every time I do I go take some photos and see that for me (A complete amateur) This lens is great. Since I got it I havent even taken it off to use my other lens.

Your in Oregon? I am headed there after the Alaskan Cruise (Seaside, Oregon to be exact)
Seaside's great. You don't have to wander far to get decent pictures. Be warned, we've been waterlogged here for the last six months.
If you arrive there on a sunny weekend, Seaside will be packed.

I'm in the Willamette Valley. An hour from the coast, 90 minutes from the desert and an hour from the Columbia gorge.
I don't have to go far to find things to photograph. Lot's of photography staples. Covered bridges, waterfalls, snow covered mountains, desert etc.
I'm participating in a workshop this weekend at Silver Falls State Park on how to take waterfall pictures. Since I specialize in bad photography, I hope to learn a few tricks and take better water images.

Last edited:

Kimberly Walker

We get back from our cruise on May 29th so will be in Seaside the 29th and 30th, but we are driving over to Portland to have dinner with a friend of ours that lives there. I was in Portland about 18 months ago, but was there for business and didnt see much more than the view from the Red Lion Hotel, and what I saw from the plane. THIS TIME I will see a lot more since we are driving down from Seattle. Have a great time this weekend. I am myself volunteering at a photo expo this weekend in exchange for free classes. I would love to see more of your photos...

Ebilpirate

I'll play.

This was taken in the few minutes of sunshine we had last weekend. I am still getting used to this photography business so....

7125169753_9fee7a3241_b.jpg

Last edited:

westmill

Banned
Since getting into DSLR I have browsed the net looking for photos obtained with different cameras. Doesnt seem to be too much of that. Maybe we could have a sticky that people could post photos they were able to obtain using the D3100 and they could tell what equipment they used to get the particular shot? I know this helps me. I often wonder ...Do I need to get a different lens, or a different camera...so seeing a photo that may be close to what I wish to obtain, I can determine if I need anything new or to just hone my skills.

He are two I took recently. I used the 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD

settings were 1/800 f/6.3 at 270mm

View attachment 10604

View attachment 10605
It doesnt matter which camera a picture was taken on Kimberly.
Veiwing pics on a PC or even prints upto 13" x 19" you would be hard pushed to know if the camera used was a D800 or D3200.
The quality of the pic itself comes from the lens in use with modern SLRs. More pixels simply give you bigger file sizes once you go
beyond around 10 milion pixels. If you want better quality, you need better glass. The lens you have, barely scratches the surface
of the detail your camera is capable of. The question is... Do you need more quality ? If you are happy with the sharpness of your pics
I would stick to your superzoom. :D