What PC spec?

simonhodge

I'm sure this has been asked many times but i guess things change that quickly in the computing world that i'm ok asking agian. I have a laptop at the moment but its old and if you ask it to open more than 3 raaw files at once it keels over. I need something new as i am working wth raw much more these days but havent a clue what to get. I know MAC are supposed to be brilliant but they cost far too much. Can any one recommend to me an idea of spec i really need to look at. Minimum and/or recommended/ideal.

Thanks

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For pc, look for an intel i7 processor and at least 8gb of RAM. Change the HDD to SSD and you'll have a desktop replacement computer. Try Sony, they are reasonable.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm sure this has been asked many times but i guess things change that quickly in the computing world that i'm ok asking agian. I have a laptop at the moment but its old and if you ask it to open more than 3 raaw files at once it keels over. I need something new as i am working wth raw much more these days but havent a clue what to get. I know MAC are supposed to be brilliant but they cost far too much. Can any one recommend to me an idea of spec i really need to look at. Minimum and/or recommended/ideal.
I would take a look at the software you're using to post process and use that as a minimum. For instance, here are the requirements for Lightroom:

Windows
  • Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1024x768 display
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Internet connection required for Internet-based services*
Mac OS
  • Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1024x768 display
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

I'm actually surprised that they are so modest. I have a 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 system as well as a Mac. I would suggest a 64-bit version of Windows to take advantage of memory over 3GB, at least 4 GB of RAM but as much as you can afford. Besides memory, the next best thing to address is to upgrade to the best video card possible.

Last edited:

th33ch0

@Simon....Do you have a budget in mind? You can build a beast of a machine for ~650-700...most of that going to the GPU(Video Card).

simonhodge

Well ordered a new machine with i7 processor, 8gb ram, 1gb graphics card and a 750gb hd all for £525 delivered! Due to arrive today :)