DIY GPS Geotagging?

Tobrew

I built my own using a Mestro A1035-H GPS module and a cable from a remote shutter release. The module was $20 from Mouser Electronics and the shutter release was about $5. I also bought a super small case for about $2 that sits on my hotshoe. If I did it again I might buy one from Amazon.com for about $40. If you want the parts list let me know. Here is short video of mine.

Nikon GPS - YouTube

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I had almost the exact same GPS and one issue to be aware of is that the cable connection to the GPS is fragile. The GPS worked very well. At $40 it is a heck of a deal.

silverthornne

Hah! That's pretty awesome.

I spent quite a bit more with my solution but it's wireless :). Got a QStarz bluetooth GPS data logger and a Bluetooth adapter for my D7000, both from Amazon. It cost around $135, but it's wireless and much cheaper than the Nikon solution which is wired. I also like that I don't need to wait on a GPS lock since the GPS logger can work for days on a single charge so I can keep it on for an entire day, always locked on so as soon as the meter turns on on the camera, the BT adapter connects to the GPS logger and it's ready for action!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I spent quite a bit more with my solution but it's wireless :). Got a QStarz bluetooth GPS data logger and a Bluetooth adapter for my D7000, both from Amazon. It cost around $135, but it's wireless and much cheaper than the Nikon solution which is wired. I also like that I don't need to wait on a GPS lock since the GPS logger can work for days on a single charge so I can keep it on for an entire day, always locked on so as soon as the meter turns on on the camera, the BT adapter connects to the GPS logger and it's ready for action!

I did something similar with the Aokatec AK-4NII Bluetooth adapter and a Holux M-1000C data logger. I'm very happy with the solution.