Convince me.

photoholic

Hello Soulphotography, Westmill… I'm kinda in the same boat. Why do I need it. I couldn't find anyone to convince me, so I convinced myself. I would call myself a photo enthusiast at this point with the desire to use photography as a more stable means of income in the future. I've been shooting with the d7000 for a couple of years… macro, landscape, product photography, and occasional portrait. I ordered the d800 from B&H after much deliberation. I'm checking everyday to see if they have arrived. And also on the verge of calling B&H and canceling my order. I know I WANT it, very interested in knowing how it would be useful.

I'm a new member… I will be looking to update my profile soon

photoholic

As I look back… I think what did it for me was seeing the quality of the images taken with the d800… I was blown away. My bigger questions was how are my DX lenses going to work with the d800. Does anyone have any input on that? I have a Nikon 18-200, 55--300, 50mm, and sigma wide-angle, and macro's.

westmill

Banned
Hello Soulphotography, Westmill… I'm kinda in the same boat. Why do I need it. I couldn't find anyone to convince me, so I convinced myself. I would call myself a photo enthusiast at this point with the desire to use photography as a more stable means of income in the future. I've been shooting with the d7000 for a couple of years… macro, landscape, product photography, and occasional portrait. I ordered the d800 from B&H after much deliberation. I'm checking everyday to see if they have arrived. And also on the verge of calling B&H and canceling my order. I know I WANT it, very interested in knowing how it would be useful.

I'm a new member… I will be looking to update my profile soon

the people that buy pics for billboards will always choose pics from medium format.
However..... This could change with advent of the d800.
The only use I can see for me personly, Is that some stock agencies do actualy pay more for the bigger file sizes.
I cant see, for me, as this would generate enough of a differance in the income to warrant the expendature though.
If you are just starting out, then I think maybe it wouldnt be a bad Idea to use as a landscape camera, tripod mounted.
Your going to need a good external hard drive for storage though. Ive seen a couple of lenses that tickle the resolution limits
of the 12 million pixel D300 in the centre at the optimum aprature. Ive yet to see a lens reach the resolution limits of the 16 million pixel
D7000. At 16 milion pixel quality is govened by the lens itself. there is no question the D800 is a remarkable camera.
For me though, its just over the top. A bit like buying a formula one racing car to go the shops in.
You could ! but why would you ? I think Nikon themselves reconise this, hence the D4.... 16 milion pixels.
I think the D4 is probably the greatest camera in existance. I better shush.... im drooling again lol :D

photoholic

I'm trying to convince my children… and grandchildren what a great guy I am… in hopes of seeing a D4 under a special tree come December.

westmill

Banned
As I look back… I think what did it for me was seeing the quality of the images taken with the d800… I was blown away. My bigger questions was how are my DX lenses going to work with the d800. Does anyone have any input on that? I have a Nikon 18-200, 55--300, 50mm, and sigma wide-angle, and macro's.
Unless you intend putting top glass on a D800.... you are wasting your money for sure.
Just my opinion here... but.... I'm just being honest here... You would get better rewards and far more quality investing in better glass
for the camera you have. Lenses like the 18-200 are good handy super zoom but you are hardly using any of the resolution limits of a D7000.
It's a far wiser investment to buy top glass first.

Last edited by a moderator:

photoholic

I mentioned the DX glass… I also have the newer model of the Nikon 70-200, and a Sigma 150-500 long lens, however, I do understand that at some point I will need to get more camera specific lenses.

westmill

Banned
In a way, I think the point I'm making is that even the best lenses are outperformed by the 16 million pixels,
so you could see it in a way that with the D800 you're just getting bigger files, not more quality.
Most of the pixels being devoid as it were. it's hard to explain. Where it does benefit is in the ability of going
into really huge pics without breaking up. A billboard size print would seem reasonably sharp when viewed from the correct distance,
whereas a camera with just 16 million pixels would just break up in the same way a film would.
There is certainly a demand for large files though. In reality, very few people need 36 million pixels.
The vast majority of people that buy it will gain nothing from it whatsoever is my belief.
If anything, they will lose out. Card is full... buffer full.... slower frame rate, etc etc.
Despite all of this.... it will sell better than anything out there, simply because people are obsessed with pixels.
It was a clever move by Nikon, for sure. They are going be laughing all the way to the bank. lol.

pedroj

I'm trying to convince my children… and grandchildren what a great guy I am… in hopes of seeing a D4 under a special tree come December.

Mine bought me a Nikon 24-70mm lens COFFEE CUP last Chissy...Not quite what I wanted..They tell me it's the thought that counts...

I buy lotto/lottery tickets all the time...D4...400mm F2.8...600mm F4...Plus a few other things

westmill

Banned
Thanks for advice Westmill… I see the wisdom in your words.
Much appreciated
You're very welcome :) It's nice to be able to help occasionally.
I'm personally waiting for the D400, since I prefer the APSC format anyway.
I'm praying it's basically the D300 with the D7000 sensor.
Or basically... even better.... an APSC version of the D4...... Swoon. :D

fotojack

You're very welcome :) It's nice to be able to help occasionally.
I'm personally waiting for the D400, since I prefer the APSC format anyway.
I'm praying its basically the D300 with the D7000 sensor.
Or basically... even better.... An APSC version of the D4...... Swoon :D

LOL...I totally agree, westmill. Me...I'd be ecstatic with a D300! I don't need video in my cameras, and 12 MP is more than enough for anyone to shoot with. :)

westmill

Banned
LOL...I totally agree, westmill. Me...I'd be ecstatic with a D300! I don't need video in my cameras, and 12 MP is more than enough for anyone to shoot with. :)
Dont get me going on video as well lol. Ive only got one camera with built in video.
I seriously couldnt even tell you if it works lol. Thinking of pixels had me thinking. Obviously I have pictures in
the studio on display etc but I only have six in the house. One in the living room which is like a nice long tripple frame
with three arty B+W 13 x19 prints and a 13 x 19 pic of a waterfall. Bedroom Ive got two pics on the back wall above
the bed. All of them are biting sharp and superb. Today I looked at them and remebered taking each pic and which
camera I used. I laughed in surprise, as Id never even thought about it before. same camera for all Pics !
Fuji S5 pro I got rid of a while ago. 6 million pixel lol.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I think the bigger question is how can you get one soon? The demand is still high and the supplies are just barely coming in. With the NPS folks getting the priority, it will be months before you can get one. The D800 is a game changer camera. I don't do large prints and I am just an enthusiast. It is hard to justify anything if your end in mind is to be practical especially in today's economy. If your gut is telling you not to get one then don't especially if your spouse (if you are married) will oppose to your decision.

Re: DX lenses. You can still achieve up to 15mp if you use your DX lenses but that would be a waste if you are not going to maximize it's full potential especially if you are going to do larger prints. Your 50mm might be able to do the work.

Getting the D800 would also mean additional expenses to upgrade your computer or purchase 1 or 2 TB hard drive to store those enormous files. How about memory cards? You'll need at least 64gb sd or CF cards.

I cancelled my D4 pre-order and re-ordered the D800E version for the second time since I had a hard time deciding. Adding the 28mm f1.8G lens from Nikon that was just announced has spiked the total damage to just over $4k. Ouch! :boxing:

Last edited: