D3200 a good beginner DSLR?

arsalann24

So I am a beginner ans haven't owned a DSLR yet, so I'm still exactly sure what to look for. I did do some research but again like I said I am beginner. These two cameras are the ones that I have been looking at and I can't really decide. I want a good, solid camera but also one that won't be ridiculously hard for a beginner to use. I know that the d3200 is an entry level one, but Amazon currently has the same price for both models.

I'm going on a trip to Europe in June and I want to buy a camera before then. Also, what kind of lenses would you guys recommend to buy as well as a starter kit or something?

Thanks for the help.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I think either the D3200 or D5100 would be good choices for beginners. Since they're the same price, I would go with the d5100 just for the exposure bracketing and higher expandable ISO. Do you need 24mp? Probably not.

The kit 18-55 lens is pretty good for travel. If you want or expect to be zooming a lot take a look at the 55-200mm or 55-300mm. I like the 55-300 better, but of course it costs a little more.

arsalann24

Thanks for the feedback. I think that the D5100 seems like a better deal as well. The D3200 is coming out sometime this month, right?

Eye-level

Banned
Get you a couple of Nikkor zooms that cover 18 to 300 and the 3200 and you have one helluva kit...

Personally I would buy a used 5000 and spend the difference on a lens...or a 5100 would be nice...

Spend the money on glass at any rate... :)

Just-Clayton

I started out with a 3100. It has produced great pictures for me. If your going to use it as a travel camera, family camera or just show pics on line. The 3200 would be great! Like JDEG said, if you want to do HDR shooting( bracketing) then go with the 5100. With my 3100 I had to do manual bracketing. If you want to use older auto focus lenses lenses like I have, they only work manually on the 3200 and the 5100. I enjoy my manual lenses. But, I sometimes need that quick focus. Thats when you have to decide to move to the 7000. It has an internal motor for focusing. I recently moved up to a 300s and I still have the 3100. A big difference in sizes. Its like going from an 8oz cup of coffee to a 12oz mug. If i had jumped right in to the 300s i probably would have returned it due to lack of knowledge. So, choosing the right camera depends on you. The 3200, 5100 and the 7000 have different bells and whistles. It depends on what sounds good to you.

arsalann24

so newbshooter, you may have already answered this question above. But when would one mainly use bracketing... is it for when you want to capture something quick? So basically, I guess what I am asking is what is bracketing? I did some research and again I might be totally wrong, but is that it takes three different pictures at three different exposure level or something like that.. or is it to do with focusing? Again, like I said new to this stuff.. so thanks for all the feedback!! Really appreciate it. Also, I don't know what the rules are for the forums but what do you guys think about some of the Canon cameras in this same group, I think its the T3i?

Eye-level

Banned
A lot of folks use bracketing for hdr stuff...I use manual lenses all the time on my camera and so the camera will not meter...now I have a fair idea of what the exposure is going to be so I set the camera at that and then use the auto bracketing feature to catch a couple extra exposures...one up and one down from my setting. It is not a must have or necessary feature but it is very nice to have when you get into some of the more advanced aspects of photography...it is probably always a good idea to get the most you can afford in a camera but many many people sell themselves short on the glass...

Just-Clayton

When I did bracketing on the 3100 I had to take one picture. Then set up another shot for a different exposure, then another shot with another exposure. Which means if i was shooting a sunset or sunrise i was too slow and the allignment of the pictures is off. With bracketing in the 5100 you set up how many shots and the exposure value. Look up some HDR photos on the forum and will understand.

VTJäger

I have the d3100 and looked at the 5100 but when it came down to it for me, I just couldn't justify spending tons of money on a camera body...I'd rather spend it on lenses cause even with an amazing camera, it doesn't guarantee your pictures will be better...that'll come with experience.

Last edited:

arsalann24

Well at the moment the prices for the d3200 and the d5100 are the same. I did look at the HDR photos newbshooter, so I get what you meant, I also did some digging around myself. So I think I've pretty much made my decision on the d5100. The d3200 seems like a great camera, but 24mp just seems like overkill and even if I don't use the bracketing much I'd like to know that I have that auto feature, rather doing it manually. Along with that I think I'm getting some other features in the d5100 over the d3200 for the same price so it seems like a better buy for a better camera. Thank you all for your feedback, really appreciate the help!!!

Eye-level

Banned
Well I personally like the reticulating screen on the 5100 because I can turn it inward towards the camera and the LCD screen is protected...plus you can still shoot through the viewfinder...that is a big selling point with me because I am hard on cameras.

Last edited:

Jay Lente

I'm not familiar with the user interface on the D5000 series but I would recommend getting both in your hand and see which makes more sense to you. I have had a D3000 for almost 3 years now and heartily recommend it as I found it be be the perfect 'beginner' camera. Yes the 3000/3100 platform has its limitations but they are a great learning platform and take outstanding images (when the monkey behind the lens does his/her job). Bottom line, look for what fits in the hand with a UI that makes sense at the best price then as has been said above, spend the money saved on the body on the lens.

gav329

Hi arsallan24

I'm a newby as well and wasn't sure exactly what I wanted. I had an old slr film camera years ago but wasn't great using it, trial and error really and luck if I got a good pic!! I've used point and shoot mostly since however thought now is the time for a dslr. I shopped around and bought coz a v v good price and a v low shutter count a D200. It's way beyond me to be honest and I'm trying to persevere when I have the time. It was second hand and £270 which is a low price for 1397 clicks!! I thought maybe I should sell it and get a D3100 (price will come down I'm sure) coz the D200 quite complicated camera although its v good I don't do it justice and my point and shoot as good almost. That's down to me however and although I knew it anyway it's all about the photographer that makes the photo good or not so good. Like I said I bought it coz such a good deal and I think I'll either trade or try get time for camera lessons to learn how to use it properly. If I was you why not check for a D3100 that's still in shops or even go used if good shop and good warranty? The D3100 looks superb and you might find on this forum one of its predecessors the D40 is a stunning performer in the right hands? Just a thought. Best of luck.

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eye-level

Banned
I wouldn't be so quick to let go of that D200 if I were you...and with all of us here we can probably give you the lessons you need to get to get started...

Last edited: