Winner Annoucement: "Rural Landscape in BW" Challenge

ohkphoto

Snow White
Because we have so many levels of photographers who are participating in these challenges, I'm going to provide a little more feedback on the photos and post the "runner-up" entries when they're close.

I am not the sole judge. I keep judges anonymous, and often use my photography class for input. I also take into consideration the "likes" on each entry and appreciate that everyone seems to be "liking" the photo and not whether the photographer is a "favorite". Based on all this, I take the top three entries and import them into Lightroom so that I can compare them side by side.

For this challenge, the winning entry is: Lscha

Lscha9.jpg

My one recommendation for this photo is that the noise be reduced. (Laura, you might want to look into a de-noising program such as Dfine by Nik software) So, this cost half a point in technique. but composition and impact were high enough to carry this photo to the top.

A very, very close second place entry is Marcel.

B&W marcel.jpg

This photo is perfect compositionally and in terms of technique and subject. It needs a little more impact and punch (richer blacks and brighter whites).

The third place entry is backdoorhippie

backdoorhippie.jpg

The one reason that this photo did not place higher is subject/composition. The viewer is drawn initially to the house and then the eyes travel to the bright section of the sky.

All three of these were a fraction of a point away from being the winning entry.

Congratulations to all, and especially to Lscha.

miknoypinoy

congrats lscha . . . looks like we got a "sandbagger". . . just messing with you lol. great job. your photos are great. you must have been doing a lot of research on photography. for just starting off you have a great eye and good technique. keep up the good work. congrats again. and great job everyone else. .

Lscha

re: Winner Annoucement: "Rural Landscape in BW" Challenge

I couldn't be prouder of this. I humbly thank you. If it never happens again I will still be happy knowing other people liked what I liked. Makes me just want to try harder!!

Lscha

congrats lscha . . . looks like we got a "sandbagger". . . just messing with you lol. great job. your photos are great. you must have been doing a lot of research on photography. for just starting off you have a great eye and good technique. keep up the good work. congrats again. and great job everyone else. .

My 'research' has been limited to this forum, for the most part. I have been looking at tons of photos on here and all the information has helped me more than anything else. I thank the members here for sharing their knowledge and art.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Congratulations Lscha, your shot deserved a win. Very nice.

Mis Adam

Congrats every one all three shots are so very worth the win. Beautiful work!

Rick M

Congratulations Lscha and the runner ups! Nice work everyone!

BackdoorArts

Congratulations, Lscha!! Wonderful photo.

I appreciate the critique and wondered about those elements myself, and had a different photo that I thought had better composition, but I may have made the mistake in listening to the recommendation of others instead of going with my gut. Spilled milk. LOL It does leave me curious, so if you're so inclined do you believe the image linked here would have fared better?