D800 remote release

twcook

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to setup remote release for the Nikon D800. I have been through the manual and menus and can not seem to find how to do it. I have got an ML - L3 remote which says it is compatible.

Thanks

LensWork

The D800 is not compatible with the ML-L3; you apparently have the ML-L3 confused with the Modulite Remote Control Set ML-3, which is compatible with the D800.

radoguy

If the remotes you look at are not not 10pin connector remotes, the will not work on the d800. I have a basic 10 pin wired shutter release and mine works fine. The least expensive Nikon remote that will work with the d800 is about $100. I am looking at the mc-36. It will work and has a lot of features on it such as program ability for timed bracket shooting and timed sequence shooting for like star shots at night.

BackdoorArts

If you're talking about the infrared remote that works with just about every other Nikon, the answer is you can't. The D800 requires a 10-pin connector remote. I was disappointed that both remotes (wired and wireless) that I'd been using for my D7000 and D600 will not work, and the one I needed to buy for my D800 won't work with the D600. So, now I have to carry multiples.

cac

Yep, I think the wireless remote.
I very dissapointed in this. I don't know why Nikon disable this feature on D800.

Thank you for the answer!

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm not a big fan of wireless remotes having used one for years. I use instead the MC-36 and love it. Here's a little DYI project - put a velcro strip on the back of the remote and then put the corresponding velcro on my camera and tripod then you'll have a handy place to keep the unit when you're between shots.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Just curious, what don't you like about the wireless? I much prefer the ML-L3 to the wired Vello remote I have for the D600. I like the idea of being able to step away from the camera.

Dave_W

The Dude
Just curious, what don't you like about the wireless? I much prefer the ML-L3 to the wired Vello remote I have for the D600. I like the idea of being able to step away from the camera.

I dislike the need to stand at specific places in order to trigger the shutter. I wish Nikon would have put the sensor in an area that can detect the signal from all angles but instead the detector is in the front and if you're standing directly behind you may or may not get it to trigger. A wired remote does not have this problem. Also, the MC-36 has a built in timer, very handy when doing long exposures when you want vary the timing.

BackdoorArts

Ah! I can see that with the ML-L3. The remote I just picked up for the D800 is RF and should be triggerable out of sight lines up to 300ft. Going to test it out as soon as the weather dries out.

HSon

Ah! I can see that with the ML-L3. The remote I just picked up for the D800 is RF and should be triggerable out of sight lines up to 300ft. Going to test it out as soon as the weather dries out.

I too bought one that works on RF and it works great. I have this one Vello FreeWave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release - RWII-C B&H

I used to use the small infared remote when I had my d90 but that thing drove me cvrazy. You had to have direct line of sight for it to work correctly. I have used my radio frequency unit from the car(keeping warm) when shooting on a cold winter day with no problem. Nice warm fingers over a infared and basic cable is priceless if you ask me. :)

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head

HSon

Thanks for the heads up - that's the one that just came from B&H today. The thing is, it's now 20% off the price I paid through Thursday, so that link just got me a price adjustment!!

Not a problem!!! Glad I can help you and at the same time save you some $$$ ! You will be happy with it. I know there are other units out there that might be better but i have used it a dozen times so far and it hasnt let me down. Best of luck and have fun shooting :)

BackdoorArts

The one thing I wasn't expecting was the additional connector that works with my earlier cameras. Bonus!! I was thinking I'd still need to carry my old ones. That said, I like the convenience of the infrared and not having to put on additional gear. I've never had an issue with it not reading the signal.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Wait, so the Vello doesn't need the 10 pin connector and works off of infrared? I would imagine that you'd have to have a direct line of sight and it doesn't work at as far of a distance, right? That and you don't get the half press to focus?

BackdoorArts

The Vello I have is RF, not IR, so you don't need line of sight. I've tested it with the camera in the backyard and me 150' away on the other side of the house and it worked fine. And it does register the half-press to focus.

I also have the ML-L3 IR remote as well, and love being able to just stick it in my pocket in case I need it while I'm out, but it won't work with the D800, and you need line of sight. The Vello came with 2 cables, one for the 10-pin and one for the USB jack. Sorry if I confused you.