Used D90 Aperture is stuck on f/6.3

moobie

Hi,

New member here and looking for help. So I just picked up a used Nikon d90 off of ebay for a pretty good price. While setting up the camera, I noticed that the F stop was set to f6.3 no matter which mode I was on Manual or Aperture. I've tried 4 different lenses, 70-300mm vr, 18-105mm vr, 35mm dx, and tamron 90mm all with no change in result. Has anyone had this issue before? I've reset the camera custom settings back to default and also did the holding the +/- and AF buttons but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

fotojack

I can think of one good reason you got it for "a pretty good price". You got burned. The guy that sold it found an easy way to get rid of it and still make a buck off some unsuspecting soul.

Two ways I can think of rectifying the situation is either getting your money back through Pay Pal (if you paid that way), or....send it in to Nikon and get it fixed. D90's are very good cameras, so it may be worth your while to get it fixed.

moobie

thanks for the help guys but it was pure embarrassing noobness... I was so used to using my d3100, i didn't realize the d90 had a front control dial.:p

fotojack

thanks for the help guys but it was pure embarrassing noobness... I was so used to using my d3100, i didn't realize the d90 had a front control dial.:p

Excellent! LOL..I never even thought of you not knowing about that front dial! That's why it never occurred to me to even mention it. Glad ya got the problem solved, and that's what matters, right? :)

moobie

the heft is great. Feels more like a real camera vs the toy feeling the d3100 had. Took it out today on a hike and really love having buttons to control everything from exposure to iso without having to fiddle through menus. I don't think I'll be outgrowing this one any time soon!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You've got yourself a great camera my friend. It produces very nice files. Enjoy your Nikon!

Photowyzard

I was reading this thread, was starting to feel really, really bad for you and was going to offer some advise. Then I read this! ROTFL

I got a good chuckle.

I am delighted your purchase was a good one. I am a D90 user. I LOVE my D90. It is a wonderful camera and delivers some terrific quality images. I know you will be extremely happy with it.

I added an MB-D80 battery pak and an extra battery to mine and never looked back. You can probably get a good price on one of these as well, now that the D90 is discontinued. I recommend it if you are out doing a lot of nature photography, the extra battery is a major plus and the extended grip has a really nice feel and look.

Only drawback is, it adds some weight. One other plus is the two dials are also conveniently positioned on the grip so you can access the controls from the grip when you have it in Portrait orientation vs Landscape.

Glad this all worked out for you.

Woodie.jpg

Last edited: